Blending

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
I have made some very big, very sweet meads in the past, but either can't wait for them to age out, or can't give up the carboy space for that long (small apartment). If I were to do a big mead (12-14%), and then follow it up with a relatively smaller mead (8-9%) would I be able to blend down to something drinkable? Or is there no substitute for age?

Recently I took an 11% mead and blended it with a blueberry wine that was very short on alc but had good blueberry flavor. The result still needs some time to finish, but it looks like it'll come out nice. Has anyone done this?

Another approach I wish I had the room (and patience) for is blending lambic style. Take a 5 year old mead, blend it with a 3 year old mead, and then blend it again with a fresh mead. Honestly, I'd line the walls with fermenting carboys, but as much as swmbo likes mead, she'd probably throw me out :p

Back