New freezer. What to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get a digital temperature controller and use it as a temperature controlled fermentation chamber.

Kegerator
Kegerator_002.jpg

Fermentation Chamber
love_001.jpg

Alright, so I've got the collar built and I'm ready to drill holes before filling in the gaps/painting. One problem - I don't have the shanks, etc. yet and I don't know what to expect. What size should I drill the holes?

I'd just wait until the hardware arrives, but then I'd have to wait:drunk:

Wow! I have the 7.2cf Magic Chef and I can get 6 cornies in there if I want:mug: I'm sticking to 4 for now so I can use the hump for other things though.

use the hump for the co2 tank. or with the collar if its tall enough fit some more kegs on it.

Very nice BrewBrain. You are about 2-3 weeks ahead of me. I'm embarking on the same journey.

I was going to use the keg fridge as a fermentation chamber AND as a kegerator. I never have more than 1 batch going at a time (so far, at least) so I'll ferment in the freezer, and then keg. I think I only need a 5 cubic foot model for this.

Does your Magic Chef chest freezer work well? I bought a Vissani (Magic Chef) Keg mini-fridge and it couldn't even get it colder than 44 degrees. I wanted to get a Kenmore 5.0 cubic foot freezer from Sears but it won't hold a carboy....the 5.5 Magic Chef will.

Very nice BrewBrain. You are about 2-3 weeks ahead of me. I'm embarking on the same journey.

I was going to use the keg fridge as a fermentation chamber AND as a kegerator. I never have more than 1 batch going at a time (so far, at least) so I'll ferment in the freezer, and then keg. I think I only need a 5 cubic foot model for this.

Does your Magic Chef chest freezer work well? I bought a Vissani (Magic Chef) Keg mini-fridge and it couldn't even get it colder than 44 degrees. I wanted to get a Kenmore 5.0 cubic foot freezer from Sears but it won't hold a carboy....the 5.5 Magic Chef will.

I've plugged the thing in just long enough to make sure it would run, so I can't say for sure it would freeze water. I suppose I should let it run tonight since I'm pretty much at a stopping point until my hardware arrives.

I'm not sure what a Keg mini-fridge is, but if it is specifically designed to be a keg fridge, it may be set at 44 degrees since that's a good serving temperature. I'll probably serve at around 47 or so.

Back