When is it ready to drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natebrewer

Reaction score
:mug:

I just finished bottling my first homebrew. I brewed a belgium white ale. I was wondering
how long do you need the beer to sit before its ready to drink?

Nate

I have found that it depends on what you brew. The English Bitter took about 6 weeks before it tasted really good, while the Blood Orange Hefeweizen was great after only 10 days.

3-4 weeks for carbonation, then it could take 3-4 more to achieve optimum taste. I recommend trying one a week and keeping notes of when it achieved the best taste and making notes of that with the recipes.

BierMuncher said:
Minimum mantra:

21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees
21 days at 70+ degrees

That depends, I've had Hefe's almost gone 21 days from brewday.

To the OP
Try one each week until they taste good. It's just like fermenting, the beer tells you when it is ready(not the other way)

If it is in bottles there's no harm in trying one a week until you feel it is done. Just don't be disappointed if it doesn't taste all that great, or lacks carbonation. That will come with time.

If it's a white ale if should be ready to drink much quicker than most beers, I'd taste one after a week in bottles as long as it was in primary long enough...

Back