Overactive fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett1341

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to home brewing and have a question about primary fermentation. I am curious to know how many bubbles per minute would be considered an over active fermentation. I put my 5.5 gallon wort into a 6.5 gallon bucket past night. I had a 1.066 starting gravity and used dry Nottingham ale yeast. The ambient air temperature is 68 degrees F. I am using a three piece airlock and am seeing about 50-60 bubbles a minute. Should I be worried about clogging the airlock and switch to a blow off hose?

Thanks

Considering you're new to brewing I'm going to guess that you under pitched. For 5.5 gallons of wort at 1.066 the ideal pitching rate is around 14 grams of dry yeast. If you pitched the 11 gram pack of nottingham you'll be fine, but a little more is ideal. If you just sprinkled the yeast onto the wort you may have killed some of them off, but once again you'll most likely be fine.

Unless the krausen (foam) starts to clog the airlock you'll be fine. There's really no such thing as an overactive fermentation as long as you're keeping it in the right temperature range.

jmichaeldesign said:
Considering you're new to brewing I'm going to guess that you under pitched. For 5.5 gallons of wort at 1.066 the ideal pitching rate is around 14 grams of dry yeast. If you pitched the 11 gram pack of nottingham you'll be fine, but a little more is ideal. If you just sprinkled the yeast onto the wort you may have killed some of them off, but once again you'll most likely be fine.

Unless the krausen (foam) starts to clog the airlock you'll be fine. There's really no such thing as an overactive fermentation as long as you're keeping it in the right temperature range.

Thanks!

Back