Bottle cleaning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
So my first brew has been in fermenter for two weeks and I am going to bottle it tomorrow I have 50 bottles i have saved up that were vigorously rinsed and left up side down to dry awaiting for bottling day. What are the ways to prepare them for bottling? I have C-brite cleanser with the only direction on it are use 1-2 packs for 2 gallons. Nothing about contact time or if I need to rinse it off after using. Thanks for the your time in advance.

You'll want to be sure they are good and clean. They could be clean enough now if you rinsed them well. If you're not quite sure, a soak in PBW, Oxiclean or C-brite for an hour or so. They rinse well and sanitize. I would go with Star-San as a sanitizer or some people run them through the dishwasher with no soap and use the drying cycle to sanitize.

Check them in front of a light to see if they have any visible crud in them. If not, sanitize and bottle. If they have anything visible in them, clean out with a bottle jet thing or a bottle brush, then sanitize and bottle. The dishwasher won't clean them out very well because the water doesn't get up inside them. I still use my dishwasher to sanitize though. It actually has a sanitization cycle. But even then, I dunk them in iodophor when I bottle.

Back