Using up the C-Brite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newgene

Reaction score
I have a few packs of c-brite laying around that I'm going to use until it's out. I'm actually using it as a sanitizer by letting everything soak for extended periods in the solution. However, here is my question. Are there any issues with reusing the c-brite mixture over and over again. Since I'm using it as a sanitizer, everything I put in it has already been cleaned with dish soap or oxyclean. So, the solution is still very clear, and still has that bleach smell. I usually clean the buckets and tools in one of my primaries, and then I dump the clean solution into a carboy and cap it. In so doing, I am keeping the same solution from evaporating, and with each batch, gaining more solution. Now, I have a solution that completely covers everything I need.

Should I pitch it and start over, or should I keep adding more c-brite and fresh water to the existing stuff? Again, it's clear as can be and still smells like it's fresh.

There is no issue as long as the solution has sufficient chlorine. The test kits for that are more expensive than the packets of sanitizer you have. Like you said, you are looking for ways to get rid of it. Just dump it after use.

There is no issue as long as the solution has sufficient chlorine. The test kits for that are more expensive than the packets of sanitizer you have. Like you said, you are looking for ways to get rid of it. Just dump it after use.

Yeah, I don't really know the free chlorine levels in the solution. I seem to add an extra pack after two batches. BTW, it stays sealed in the glass carboy when not sanitizing anything. I can't imagine the chlorine reacting with anything to reduce the cl count.

Back