Howdy, question for beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DancingBull

Reaction score
Hi folks, great forum.

Question, i brewed my second batch ever yesterday (first was last weekend, transferred it into the secondary fermenter yesterday) but i did a combo grain boil (used a fruit bag to boil my grains for an hour) plus extract (still learning the lingo) but I didn't realize I was not supposed to put the trub into my fermenter.

This morning i read in the Joy of Homebrewing that I was NOT supposed to transfer this.

Did i mess up this second batch by adding this? It was cooled to about 80 degrees F and then i pitched the yeast.

FWIW, I am making a brown ale this second go round.

Thanks in advance!

The trub should settle out. I'm more concerned about the grains thing. Usually you're only supposed to steep them in 140-160 degree water. Boiling the grains could have been harmful.

The trub should settle out. I'm more concerned about the grains thing. Usually you're only supposed to steep them in 140-160 degree water. Boiling the grains could have been harmful.

Opps, sorry, should have clarified. Yes, I kept them at 160 for an hour.

Thanks for your help!

I think it will turn out fine. From what I've read, 160 is about as high as you want to go with the grain, but it is still in the safe range.

The biggest issue will be keeping the trub out of the bottles, but that just means you will have to be a little more careful than normal. Not really all that big of a deal. The trub COULD give you slightly off flavors from what people say. I did the same thing on my 1st batch, but I made soo many mistakes on that one, I couldn't tell you if it had any effect or not. If you can rack the beer to a secondary, that would help you in the long run, but if you leave it as is, you will still be perfectly fine. There are some people who want a little trub in their fermenter.

I think it will turn out fine. From what I've read, 160 is about as high as you want to go with the grain, but it is still in the safe range.

The biggest issue will be keeping the trub out of the bottles, but that just means you will have to be a little more careful than normal. Not really all that big of a deal. The trub COULD give you slightly off flavors from what people say. I did the same thing on my 1st batch, but I made soo many mistakes on that one, I couldn't tell you if it had any effect or not. If you can rack the beer to a secondary, that would help you in the long run, but if you leave it as is, you will still be perfectly fine. There are some people who want a little trub in their fermenter.

Yep, I plan to go to a secondary fermenter in about a week.

Thanks again everyone!

Welcome to HBT, DancingBull.

Never managed to get the trub from slipping into the fermenter, but I rack into the bottling bucket carefully. Some folks think the trub actually provide nourishment to the yeast, so not necessarily a bad thing to have trub in your fermenter during fermentation.

My off flavors (early years) can't be attributed to trub, since I still do that the same. Temp Control has been the biggest contribution to making some really tasty brews.

So, FWIW, don't fight the trub. Don't rush it to the secondary, either. If you're going to secondary, 2 weeks in the primary is good, so fermentation is complete before clearing. (just my .02)

good luck, welcome to the hobby!

Don't worry about the trub getting into your primary.

I would, however recommend that you try to get your temp down a bit more before pitching. I think 80 is definitely on the high end. I always try to get down to 68-70 before pitching. I like to ferment Neutral yeasts at the low end of their temp range to keep them nice and clean.

Back