Wooden Control Box for E-herms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Douglefish

Reaction score
I need to build a new control box for my Electric Herms and have been contemplating what to use? I have seen a lot of options, but I don't have the tools or experience to do much with metal.

What is everyone's thoughts on using a wooden box to hold my BCS-460, a couple of 40A SSRs, a couple of 25A SSRs, and a distribution block?

Is fire a concern?

I wouldn't use wood. I've seen a few freak episodes where things got hot really fast or pop for some bizarre one in a million reason. If they weren't in a metal enclosure we would have been scrambling for a fire extinguisher. Find a surplus metal or fiberglass box on ebay or at a local electronics surplus place. Fiberglass are self extinguishing if you're curious.

Wood is a great material but not a good choice for this application.

I am using wood for my control box and have had no issues. If the proper precautions are taken I do not see any reason why it should be a problem.

Wood also adds an "R" factor to the electronics inside that hate heat.
Surplus electrical supply houses that buy extra electrical materials off construction job sites are a great place to shop for needed brewing items. Way cheaper than any supply house unless you can get materials off the company you work for or from a remodel job as dumpster items.

Definitely get a metal box. I got an aluminum enclosure. All you really need to work the box is a step drill bit, some twist drill bits, and maybe a dremel cut off wheel..

It really doesn't matter if you cover all your bases.... Make sure what needs air cooling gets enough air cooling.....

It actually takes a lot of energy to ignite milled lumber. If your electronic components are hooked up to panel with current protection, the potential of a fire caused by the components enclosed would be "almost" nill. Now if something else catches fire and it spreads to your control box you'd be screwed...

On the other hand, metal boxes can be recycled from some other use for free....

Back