Spoiled Chocolate Milk Shotgun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grummle

Reaction score
So I'm trying a clone Deshutes Black Butte. First porter, first liquid yeast. I actually had a bit more then I was planning so it was pretty high in the 3gal better bottle. I woke up in the morning with some pre-porter in the airlock and figured I'd better rig up a blow off tube stat. I've seen alot of people do the bottom of the 2 piece airlock hosed into another vessel. Figured I'd try that. Missed the tidbit about cutting out the cross members. Thats where the shotgun comes in. Took me a good hour to get it all cleaned up. Luckily I've got a mini fridge just for fermenting.

My questions are.

I've got some NASTY looking krausen sitting on top of my beer. Any issue with this? Should I rack to a secondary to avoid letting it absorb back into the beer?

Anyone have any recommendations for blow off on 3gal better bottles? I tried 1/2" on the standard better bottle bung but its a real pita to get it on there. My latest try you can see in the pics below.

IMG_0237.JPG
IMG_0238.JPG
IMG_0239.JPG
IMG_0242.JPG
IMG_0243.JPG

Back