Riverhouse Beer Transportation ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefMichael01

Reaction score
So about 40 of my closest friends and I are going to converge this July at a riverhouse in Texas for a weekend of tubing, grilling, drinking, drinking and probably a bit of drinking. :rockin: I'm the only brewer in the group and want to brew a couple of beers to take down there. Question is, what is the best way to go about this?

Note: I bottle beers still, no kegs.

Real issues here are 1) cost of transportation and 2) will said transportation F up my brew. Options I see so far are making my girlfriend's and my checked luggage only full of beer (but this will be pretty heavy and likely over weight limits) or fedex it down there.

Anyone else have any good ideas or estimates of cost? I'd like to bring as many bottles as possible of course but an amount within reason.

Bottle in the 2 liter soda bottles (make sure to keep them in a dark place) You'll have some sediment kicked up by transporting them, but the only way to avoid that is to keg, or send them down early to resettle. You also can't carry any on the plane, would need to be checked luggage. That might mean it is cheaper to ship it down there. If any of your friends are close by just ship a batch or two that are put into plastic bottles and have them chill them, then bring them in a cooler surrounded by ice to keep cold and keep them from moving around too much and kicking up sediment.

So you want to get from NY to TX with enough beer for 40 people. If you have ever seen any baggage or package handlers at the airport or FedEx, you will know that it needs to be very well packed so the bottles don't break when clanking into each other when the box gets tossed upside down into the cargo hold. I've never flown with more than a six pack, and that took some careful packaging, so unless you want to drive, you will be spending a ton of money getting the beer there.

Back