Pitched yeast when wort was too warm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmwst1

Reaction score
I made Holiday Ale 3 weeks ago from an extract kit from Midwest. When I finished, I put the pot in my sink as usual to cool down. Apparently, I didn't have enough ice or didn't wait long enough for it to cool down, because I wasn't getting a reading on my thermometer when I moved it to the fermentation bucket.

I had to leave my house in a few minutes, and the beer didn't feel especially warm, so I figured it was just a few degrees. I pitched the yeast, and left it to ferment. After a week, the gravity was 1.026 and after 3 weeks, it is 1.024. The FG is supposed to be between 1.012 and 1.018.

It looks like the yeast was ruined by pitching when the wort was too warm. Question is, can I just purchase new yeast of the same type and throw it in the secondary to complete the fermentation?

Thanks

I nuked the hell out of a yeast on a Nut Brown Ale. I didn't pitch another yeast or anything, and I bottled it. 3 weeks later I cracked it open, and within a week my friends and I put away the 2 cases.

With an Ale you shouldn't have too many issues, just an off molassasy flavor.

Well it appears the yeast did it's job, just not very efficient. Wait it out till your gravity doesn't change, it may take a few more weeks for that to happen.

What's the ambient temp where your carboy is located?

How can you say the yeast was "ruined?

It fermented down to 1.024...that's not "ruined" to me...If it were ruined it would be sitting at your OG...

You might be stuck..But the yeast definitely wasn't ruined...you didn't drop it into boiling wort...

You have to look at another reason.

Like has there been a temp drop where you store your fermenter?

You may need to give the fermenter a swirl, warm it up a bit, or pitch some more yeast.

But you definitely didn't ruin your yeast if you got a 30 point drop in fermentation.

Revvy,

I'm pretty new to this, so my assumption was that some of the yeast wasn't doing it's job, and that it must have been because I put it into something that was too warm. I assumed incorrectly obviously, so that part is good news.

As far as temp drop, it has, but only 2 degrees. I did move it to a secondary after a week, hoping that would help. It did drop it .002.

From what petep1980 said, do I need to pitch new yeast, or is it ok to bottle at this point?

As far as temp drop, it has, but only 2 degrees. I did move it to a secondary after a week, hoping that would help. It did drop it .002.

From what petep1980 said, do I need to pitch new yeast, or is it ok to bottle at this point?

Try giving the fermentor a gentle swirl to re-rouse the yeast...and move it to a slightly warmer place or throw a blanket on it to re awaken the yeast...you don't want to bottle until it's 1.020 or below...

I wouldn't re-pitch until you tried what I mentioned and checked back in a week, since you are only trying to drop it 4 or more points...If swirling, warming doesn't kick start it in a week, then I would add a packet of yeast to it...but not until I tried the "natural" means first...

Next time let it sit in the primary until your at your FG or real close! Other then that listen to Revyy your doing just fine.

Back