Weldless fittings and leakage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weldless bulkheads and leakage

• I've used weldless fittings on my boil vessel, never had a leak

• I've used weldless fittings, had a leak, fixed it and I'm good

• I tried weldless fittings, got a leak, couldn't get it resolved

• I've got weldless fittings, have a small leak, but I deal

• I hate the very idea of weldless fittings, but I still want to vote, dammit!

• Ralph Nader

Results are only viewable after voting.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Some people love 'em, some people hate 'em....

If you've used weldless fittings on your boil kettle, have they leaked on you?

If they have, did you ever figure out why (didn't clean the burr on the drill hole and screwed up the o-ring, etc)?

I've got weldless on my boil kettle and my HLT. Boil kettle they are fine. No leaks. HLT I have minor leaks, but I believe that was due to placement. I have them too close to the bumps on the keg and I can't get them flat.

I voted
"I've used weldless fittings, had a leak, fixed it and I'm good"
But that one leak was in the middle of a boil causing severe annoyance. I have since went welded. It's likely you won't get a leak if installed properly, but the $25 per keg I paid was well worth the piece of mind.

I have 3 keggles with 6 weldless fittings and the only one to even remotely leak is one of the Thermosights. I had a hell of a time getting them to seal because of the stainless nipples. I had to add 2-3 SS washers on each side of the keg wall to get it to seal (after buying replacement nipples). The only leak is from my HLT and it's a slow drip, so overall I'm content with it.

I'd say for ball valves, weldless was the easiest and most cost effective, but it's a toss-up for the thermomter/sight gauge.

Back