Stoudt Fat Dog & Abita Amber Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatMonsters

Reaction score
Last night I tried Stoudt's Fat Dog and Abita Amber. I've had them for a little while and finally got to try them. I thought I'd share my findings...

Soudt's Fat Dog - Imperial Oatmeal Stout
Poured as a super dark/pitch black beer with a very little tan head that receded leaving a small lace in the glass. This lasted a short time and then lacing was gone. Smell of beer was chocolate with very little coffee hint. No hop aroma detected. Tasted a bit of sweet chocolate which dissipated with a slight caramel flavor and hop balance. Alcohol heat definitely detectable. Little coffee flavor came through. Very smooth creamy feel with decent body.

I enjoyed this. Not my favroite oatmeal stout, but definitely a good example. This was my first Stoudt beer and I would definitely try their other beers in their lineup.

Abita's Amber - Amber lager
Poured a slight amber color. Big head formed but fell into a small lacing in the glass. Very light smell of caramel sweetness. Otherwise nose pretty non-existent. Tasted very light caramel sweetnes with no body. Slight toast tones but nothing else. It was kinda tasteless to me.

I didn't enjoy this beer. I like TurboDog by Abita, but not this one.

Fat Dog is interesting...sometimes it's super boozy, sometimes it's excellent. Either way, there are more consistent and, IMHO better renditions on the market.

I am right there with you on Abita.

Back