oak chips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mot

Reaction score
I made a IPA bottled it two weeks ago, It sat in some oak chips in the secondary for two weeks. The beer is great, just a little bit to much of an after taste from the oak chips, Anyone use oak chips before? How much does this mellow out? or is it there for good?

It will mellow out with age. Oak takes a bit to properly mellow. How much oak did you use?

I did an American IPA last summer that I used 4oz of lightly toasted oak soaked in bourbon. It was overpowering at first. After about two months it was good. After 6months it was great. Now, almost one year later its out of this world.

Give it time.

-Todd

HomerT said:
It will mellow out with age. Oak takes a bit to properly mellow. How much oak did you use?

I did an American IPA last summer that I used 4oz of lightly toasted oak soaked in bourbon. It was overpowering at first. After about two months it was good. After 6months it was great. Now, almost one year later its out of this world.

Give it time.

-Todd

I cant remember how much oak it was, It was pre packaged in the kit I bought from midwest. Oh just checked there site and it says 2 oz.

It should mellow in abour 4~6 weeks. Tell you what, send me one bottle every other week and I will tell you when they are mellowed enough....
:mug:

Yup, soaked a couple ounces of steamed chips in my IPA secondary for about 20 days. Mellowed really nicely after about 4 weeks in the keg.

I've used oak chips once and it doesn't take much and they don't have to be on the beer long. I did my 666 brew with half the recommended chips for only a week and you could definitely taste the oak. I think wine can tolerate oak much more than beer.

With any beer that's relatively "green" you'll taste very distinct individual flavors at various points of a 'gulp'. But as it matures, the flavors blend and become smoother. As others have said, let it age, it'll mellow.

Back