Cubs Being Sold?! WHAT?!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WOP31

Reaction score
What the Fu-Hell?!

So I read this article today and see that my beloved Cubs are going to be sold next year. Usually no big deal, but this is the Cubs we're talking about here. The further I read I see that they are unsure if this ****** bag (Sam Zell new owner of the tribune) is going to sell Wrigley with the Cubs!!!!???

The company did not say whether it intended to sell Wrigley Field, which has been the Cubs' home since 1916.

They better sell F*ing Wrigley Field with the Cubs, where else are the GD Cubs going to play!!!??? They can't play in some other crappy a$$ ballpark.

Wrigley Field = Cubs Home = Friendly Confines = THE ONLY PLACE THAT THE CUBS CAN CALL HOME!

So my solution:

Us HBT'ers need to unite and come up with $600mil and buy the Cubs at the end of this season. I got a some guys at work in on it too and i really think that if we worked hard enough we could do it. Bring the team back home to the people. Like, & I hate to compare the two, the Packers? So let me know your thoughts on the situation.

All I have to say is Go Cubbies!!!!

hmm. . . . Well, AB sold out the Cardinals, but they're still the same team. . . and still my favorite.

I'm sure if the Cubs get sold, they still won't win. . .

:D

just kidding. . . just had to insert a little Cardinal rivalry there.

Ummm, piss up a rope? :D

I kidd I kidd

I know that there are a ton of opinions out there and many of them positive, I just worry about my tean is all. RDWHAHB, right?

Cheer to all you supporters out there and the rest of you I hope to see you in the play offs!

Cheer to an Old Style!

If they sell the Cubs but not the stadium, they would almost certainly continue to play at Wrigley under a lease. LOTS and lots and lots of teams do this, I would wager that the majority of team owners do not also own the stadium.

First off, the Cubs will play in Wrigley for a LONG time to come. If they sell the stadium, someone will just assume ownership and will lease it back to the Cubs. This will allow a private investor to purchase the team at a lower cost than purchasing the team and all their assets together.

It's not like the Tribune owned them from the start. They bought the team in 1981, if you recall.

wop31 said:
I know that there are a ton of opinions out there and many of them positive, I just worry about my tean is all. RDWHAHB, right?

As a Brewer fan, I can't really talk, but... you need to worry about your team. Now that the Bosox broke their curse, the Cubs are all alone. Good thing you have homebrew! :mug:

I would think Cubs fans would be excited at the prospect of new ownership; it's done wonders here in Boston.

Also the_bird is correct, most teams do not own the stadium (especially the teams that get the taxpayers to pay to build them). Instead they pay a lease in order to play there, get a percentage of ticket sales, and lose out on getting money from concessions.

I used to be a huge fan but gave up after the Sandberg, Grace, Sosa team was no mas. Sandberg was my hero, 23!

TxBrew said:
Sandberg was my hero, 23!

Amen brother!

Alright maybe I overreacted, but sometimes I can be a half empty kinda guy. either way if my glass is getting empty I need to fill it with some homebrew.
I am really worried at that they may sell wrigley to some crappy corperate firm and they rename it Maxi-Tampon Field or some crap like that.

Cheers and Go Cubs

Well everyone may hate the Yankees but that was the first thing they said when the new stadium was approved. They would never sell naming rights to it, it will always be just Yankee Stadium.

However they may sell naming rights to all the urinals and toilets as well as the entrences.:D

Denny's Evil Concoctions said:
Aren't they being moved to Vancouver?

JK.

:D I was gonna mention how mad the cubs fans would be if they sold them and moved them to Vegas and called them the Dancers or the gamblers.

I was going to come in here and break the bad news for you. The reason why he doesn't want to sell the stadium is so he can sell the naming rights instead. Then he gets to sell the team, make them pay to play in the stadium and still sell out the Wrigley name. He'll make a crap ton of money.

Actually, he'll probably make a double crap ton of money.

Latest posts

Back