mashing steeping grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
what would happen if i mashed my steeping grains using partial mash technique? I thought of this and wondered if it would give me more flavor or color? Would i just mash in appropriate amount of water and top off for boil? Thanks:rockin:

mashing is the same thing as steeping, except it involves grains that cause enzyme activity leading to the conversion of starch to sugar. adding such grains (2-row, etc) would just add more sugar to the batch, not more flavor/color from the steeping grains

I don't think the OP is asking what would happen if he mashed with malts like 2-row, I think he's asking what would happen if he mashed with specialty grains like crystal. Am I right?

that's correct. lets say I've got a lb. of Honey Malt. If I mashed it for an hour would i get a different result than if i just steeped it for 30 minutes, or would it be the same?

i was trying to say u cant mash specialty grains, that in order to be a mash you need something like 2-row. the technique is basically the same, just the grains involved are different.

Sounds like you are ready for a mini-mash. If you feel like spending the extra time, jump into a partial/mini mash kit, it's a great bridge into all grain.

If you mashed 2-row or other convertible grains with the added specialty grains, there is a chance that the enzymes could convert starches from the specialty grains too. Of course roasted (black) grains wont have much if any sugar left in them, but some of your cara-type grains may.

That's what I thought for a long time until I asked John Palmer about it. He said that he actually thought the same thing for a while until he was advised by a malster that caramalts are fully converted. He guessed that any perceived increase in yield is solely attributable to the sparging step. It makes sense but it wouldn't justify the 10% yield limit for steeping that are typically quoted. Hell, a no sparge all grain is worth at least 70%+.

Since you aren't getting conversion from the specialty grains, the 30min steep is all they really need. Check out the BIAB partial or AG method and get cookin!!

So if I soaked a pound of C-60 in room temp water for 10 minutes, an iodine test would show there are no starches in the water?

Back