I fail at search

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankfurtvr4

Reaction score
This is what I am looking for. Pics of grain/hops storage. I am thinking of buying in bulk so I don't have to wait on boxes to show up. I have no idea what is required to store them for a month or two at a time.

I don't have a picture, but I have storage bins. They are usually Rubbermaid, but I've bought the "generic" types too. I have big ones for base grain, and smaller ones for specialty grains. They go on sale all the time at places like Wal-mart and I have quite a few. Buckets from Home Depot, with lids, work well too if you have shelves they can fit on. You can write on the buckets, or use tape and a marker, to mark what's in each one.

I'll take a picture of my hops storage, though, in a minute!

Ok, here's my 250 ounces of hops, vacuum sealed with my FoodSaver:

DSCF5255.jpg

I was told by Nothern Brewer it was bad to keep grains in the freezer, better to keep them in a sealed rubbermaid bin in a dark cool place.

I tend to have trouble finding things with the search function on this site, and find that if you just google, and put homebrew in the search, this site will always be at the top with multiple threads directly related with what you're searching for. The search on this site seems to pull much more broad results.

Anyhow, here are a few good threads I found, and I'm kind of glad you asked, because this is something I've been needing to look into as well:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/grain-storage-3074/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/bulk-grain-storage-95123/

I would say you fail at thread titles too! lol........

But, in light of all the good responses here, I retract that.

I use large tupperware in my basement.

My money would be on a bucket that could double as a fermenter in a pinch if I was to go shopping now.

I use a large plastic tote for base malts, plus a couple of homerbuckets (will get more buckets when I need them!)

I keep smaller amounts of specialty grains in plastic containers on a shelf, like passedpawn, although I don't have "quite" as much yet.

Usually anything smaller than 1 lb. goes into my crisper in the kegerator. Unless it used to be in a larger container, then I just leave it in there until I refill it.

I keep 5 bulk base malts. I bought the standard large plastic trash cans on sale for about $10 each. I found some 4-mil hdpe barrel liners ($2/ea) which I line the cans with. For a seal, I just twist up the top of the liner and tuck it between the can and grain. I think they will store over 2 sacks in each.

When one gets low, I pull the liner and grain out, put in a new liner for the fresh grain, fill and put the old grain in its original liner on top. This way, I can rotate out the older grain.

Some folks use the vittles vault food containers.

8f500081a0ca16739297a3c42de50f37.jpg

I store my dog food in a Vittes Vault which I got off Amazon. It keeps the kibble fresh for as long as it is in there (about 3-4 months). I am sure it would do a great job keeping grain fresh for long periods also.

I have an old deep freeze that doesn't work. It's perfect mouse free storage. I just leave the grain in the bag it came in.

Back