First Brew Done, Some questions...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishpride42

Reaction score
Ok so my first brew is done however I have a few questions. The kit was a Cooper's light lager. The guy at the store said to leave it in the primary until it stopped bubbling which ended up being 8 days then he said bottle it and let it sit for 2 weeks which brought us too yesterday. When I opened the first one it had that wonderful sound of carbonated beer and taste like beer (which made me proud as a pig in ****) but my question is if I leave it sit for another week or so will it get more carbonation? Also when I poured the beer it really did not have any head, is that normal? Thanks!:mug:

I've never used that kit, but I'm guessing the answer is yes to your questions! The beer will definitely be better after a few more weeks (It sounds like it's only about 3 weeks old, and is usually best at least 6 weeks later) and the head may come with some age.

The other thing to do is to make sure your glass is clean of all soap residue and not to use beer glasses that have been through the dishwasher with Jet Dry. If you rinse your glass right before pouring, sometimes that helps the head form.

First of all, congrats on your first brew!!!!!!

And yes, if you leave it alone for at least another week it will carbonate some more, and that additional carbonation should give you some nice head on your beer and hopefuly some nice lacing as you drink it down. No worries.

Edit: Dammit Yooper, you're a fast typer!!!!!

Isn't the first brew great?! :rockin:

Heed the words of the Brewing Jedi masters here as they are dean on. You did things just fine. Give it a couple more weeks and it will only get better.

That video was so awesome. Made me absolutely nuts though as it's making me so anxious to try my first batch that was just bottled Saturday (3 days ago).

Maybe I'll make a video just to justify my incremental tests. :cross:

OK so it has know been more then 2 weeks (4 total) and the beer has gained no more carbonation and still has that flat taste. I think I will chalk it up to being a noob and start on the next batch!

OK so it has know been more then 2 weeks (4 total) and the beer has gained no more carbonation and still has that flat taste. I think I will chalk it up to being a noob and start on the next batch!

What temp are you storing your bottles at? Also some styles take longer to carb/bottle condition...I've had stouts and porters take a couple months.

One trick is to lay the bottles on the side and gently rock them back and forth a couple times to re-rouse the yeast, put them back upright in a warm spot for a couple more weeks. That usually does the trick.

What temp are you storing your bottles at? Also some styles take longer to carb/bottle condition...I've had stouts and porters take a couple months.

One trick is to lay the bottles on the side and gently rock them back and forth a couple times to re-rouse the yeast, put them back upright in a warm spot for a couple more weeks. That usually does the trick.

They are stored in the bottles in the tub at about 70*

That video was so awesome. Made me absolutely nuts though as it's making me so anxious to try my first batch that was just bottled Saturday (3 days ago).

Maybe I'll make a video just to justify my incremental tests. :cross:

Just don't start an "is my beer ruined thread?", until you've passed the 4 weeks mark. :D

Back