krausen in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akegs

Reaction score
This is my second brew an all grain irish red. I bottled about a week and a half ago and just checked the bottles to see how they were looking and noticed there is about a half an inch high krausen in every bottle. I used an english ale yeast btw. But anyway i was wondering if anyone knows if this will eventually drop to the bottom of the beer, if the batch got contaminated, or what is going on. Thanks for any help,

Was it done fermenting? What was the final gravity on it? There is a possibility that it could be contamination. Toss one in the refrigerator to chill and open. See if you have a gusher.

It was done fermenting it had a fairly long lasting krausen in the primary though a pretty solid layer. The final gravity was 1.1. The temperatures in my apartment were a little hot the last two weeks (closer to eighty than seventy) I'm wondering if it is just fermenting slowly in the bottle could that have any effect on it? P.S. whats a gusher?

1.1? What is that? A Plato reading or something?

A gusher is a bottle which gushes everywhere when opened.

It was done fermenting it had a fairly long lasting krausen in the primary though a pretty solid layer. The final gravity was 1.1. The temperatures in my apartment were a little hot the last two weeks (closer to eighty than seventy) I'm wondering if it is just fermenting slowly in the bottle could that have any effect on it? P.S. whats a gusher?

Double check that gravity reading. Most of us don't make beers that even start that high.

Yea I have gushers for sure my sg readings must have been wrong. Anyway I don't think fermentation was over when I bottled thanks for the help though

If you actually bottled beer that is still fermenting then you have a huge safety concern for exploding bottles so take necessary precautions and get those bottles in some sort of sealed tub

Back