Malt Tables for Calculating Efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWMushroom

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So three all grain batches in I decided to figure out my brewhouse efficiencies. I don't have any software, so I do the calculations by hand. However, I have noticed some discrepancies in terms of maximum yield between the malt table in Palmer's How to Brew and the wiki entry here at HBT.

I know that the potential varies with each crop cycle, so static tables will never be 100% accurate, however which do I follow? I am guessing the HBT malt table would be more accurate since it's online and can be regularly updated, but there is no source information on the page so I don't know how accurate it is.

Yes, I know I need to RDWHAHB since the variations are tiny, especially on a home brewing scale. However, I need to decide which to keep as my table of reference so I am consistent!

So, I am torn - which table do I refer to?!

Thanks!

Either one will work fine:) Just pick one already!

Seriously, most grists are predominantly 2-row malt. If you use the same number for that calculation (typically 36-37ppg), the differences from the other malts are so small you probably won't see any difference.

Is 36-37ppg assuming 75% efficiency, or is that figure before efficiency is calcuated?

Thanks. I am also in search of an accurate chart. BYO's website has one. I would assume it's reliable.

Thanks. I am also in search of an accurate chart. BYO's website has one. I would assume it's reliable.

Accuracy is relative. As NWMushroom alluded to, potential ppg of a grain is going to vary with maltster, harvest date, harvest year, lot-to-lot variation, sampling variation, etc., etc.

The BYO is similarly inaccurate/accurate to the HBT wiki, the How To Brew table, etc.

The reality is that regardless of the table you go with, they are all reasonably close approximations to the actual value, and good enough for our purposes.

Back