Foam lid for 10 gallon mlt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

egurney

Reaction score
I've read in some other posts about using foam insulation to create a lid to effectively make an mlt smaller to improve on heat loss.
Can I use the stuff they sell at HD in foam boards for this (white/blue)?
Can I wrap in foil tape to keep it from chipping off into the mash?

Thanks,
Eric

The only issue I would see with aluminum tape is the adhesive. We use the "Nashua" brand aluminum tape at work, and when that stuff gets wet, it gets messy as hell...

I suggested to someone on here yesterday to use heavy duty tinfoil to cover the foam, rather than any tape..I'd be worried about the glue backing in the tape softening and leaching into the liquor...

Good deal. I was trying to create something that would be reuseable, but I guess for cleanliness, rewrapping before each use probably would be a good idea anyway.

Good deal. I was trying to create something that would be reuseable, but I guess for cleanliness, rewrapping before each use probably would be a good idea anyway.

Since it's preboil, cleanliness is not crucial..Besides something tightly wrapped in tinfoil would still be easy to clean, you could hose it off easily, prolly even wash it.

Good point.
What thickness are you thinking as far as 'heavy duty'?

Good point.
What thickness are you thinking as far as 'heavy duty'?

I dunno..I was thinking whatever thickness the heavy duty reynolds foil they have at the grocery store is...The wide roll...

I'm sure there's other foils out there, that might be ruggeder but we know this one works with food...

Will do. I was thinking that you were talking about some industrial stuff that I didn't know about.

Back