Ideas for a holiday brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
We've booked a holiday that's 64 days away today. We're going to a cottage down in Somerset (the heart of real british cider!) and I wanted to fire up a quick 1 gallon brew for the first night.
I want something easy to drink that the non-beer drinkers will enjoy too, as most of those going away are girls with a taste for alcopops and vodka lemonade, so nothing even in wine territory. It can't take longer than around 6 weeks, really. I don't mind if it's not matured to improve ;)
Ideas? :D

Well, to me usual non-beer drinkers are hard to please :)

I would go with some sort of Bock. Spring is coming up and bocks always seem to come around about that time. I've gone on "holiday" or vacation here in the states quite a few times where Shiner Bock was consumed.

I guess bocks are more sentimental than anything else to me.

Oh, and very tasty.

I was thinking a relatively hard cider, although I currently have a keg and a half of standard cider in the conservatory, hahah.
Not sure about a Bock - doubt that would go down well with our crowd!

Ed Worts Apfelwein and a bottle of sprite for bubble/sweetness. Your happy and there happy and with a starting ABV over 8% even cut everyone will continue to be happy.

happiness sounds good. i might get apfelwein a go then - I suppose everyone on this forum does after 1550 gallons have been made - hahah. will it ferment and settle in 6 weeks?

according to the thread it settles out in about 4 weeks at room temp. It'll be uncarbonated hence the sprite.

We've booked a holiday that's 64 days away today. We're going to a cottage down in Somerset (the heart of real british cider!) and I wanted to fire up a quick 1 gallon brew for the first night.
I want something easy to drink that the non-beer drinkers will enjoy too, as most of those going away are girls with a taste for alcopops and vodka lemonade, so nothing even in wine territory. It can't take longer than around 6 weeks, really. I don't mind if it's not matured to improve ;)
Ideas? :D

I think Brandon O's Graff will do very nicely for both beer drinkers & non-beer drinkers; it's rather unique & very tasty. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/ Regards, GF.

Back