American Pale Ale Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oberon567

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
WLP 001
Yeast Starter
(Pitched on Slurry)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
8.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
13, 67 degrees
Tasting Notes
Alcohol is not nearly as forward as might assume looking at the ABV, very quaffable
7.0 lb Light DME
6.0 oz Corn Sugar (0.38 lb)
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 oz. Simcoe (12.3% AA) 60 Minutes
1 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.3% AA) 15 Minutes
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 minutes)
1.6 oz. Fresh Grated Orange Peel 10 Minutes (Two Navel Oranges - did not use all of the pith but certainly allowed some of it)

Prime with Corn Sugar - I put half in a Party Pig and bottled the remainder, but my quantities are not too useful. 4 - 5 oz should be good, nice to have it on the higher, crisper carbonation side.

Steeped Crystal in 1 gallon at 155 degrees F for 40 minutes. Raised temp and removed grain sack at 175 degrees. Put grain sack in a second kettle of 1 gallon and let it steep at 170 for an additional 10 minutes, and added this to primary kettle with additional water to make 4.5 gallons. I did a 4.5 gallon boil, and topped off to 5 gallons. Late edition for 70% of the DME.

I was not going to add this recipe, as it is an Extract recipe and pretty simple at that. But by the time my bottles ran out I realized I really, really enjoyed this brew. The orange flavor was crisp and nice, and a little more would not hurt but I would not do less. The orange flavor and aroma dimish from what you get when boiling to what you get when you drink it, and even at that my last bottle had less orange up front than my first, as it faded even over the few weeks it took me to drink (but did not disappear). The ABV is pretty high at 6.7, but it was not that noticeable. The hops gave a nice bitterness and flavor, and along with the orange, the alcohol took a back seat. It would probably not hurt to ferment a degree or two colder than I did, either, that is what I will do next time.

Overall, very quaffable and refreshing. Enjoy!

I'm glad you posted it. I'm currently only doing extract recipes with steeping so maybe I'll give this a try!

7.0 lb Light DME
6.0 oz Corn Sugar (0.38 lb)
0.5 lb Crystal 20
0.5 oz. Simcoe (12.3% AA) 60 Minutes
1 oz. Amarillo Gold (7.3% AA) 15 Minutes
1 tsp. Irish Moss (15 minutes)
1.6 oz. Fresh Grated Orange Peel 10 Minutes (Two Navel Oranges - did not use all of the pith but certainly allowed some of it)

Prime with Corn Sugar - I put half in a Party Pig and bottled the remainder, but my quantities are not too useful. 4 - 5 oz should be good, nice to have it on the higher, crisper carbonation side.

Steeped Crystal in 1 gallon at 155 degrees F for 40 minutes. Raised temp and removed grain sack at 175 degrees. Put grain sack in a second kettle of 1 gallon and let it steep at 170 for an additional 10 minutes, and added this to primary kettle with additional water to make 4.5 gallons. I did a 4.5 gallon boil, and topped off to 5 gallons. Late edition for 70% of the DME.

n00b here - I would really like to try this recipe, it sounds delicious. I think I understand everything, but just to make sure, I'll list what I plan to do and anyone should feel free to correct me or suggest improvements:

1.Steep Crystal 20 in 1 gal of water at 155 F for 40 min.

2.Raise heat and remove grains at 175. Put grains in separate kettle with 1 gal of water at 170 F for 10 min.

3.After 10 min, add this water to the primary kettle. Add additional water to make 4.5 gal.

4.Bring 4.5 gal to boil

5.Remove from boil and add DME

6.Bring back to boil and add Simcoe bittering hops

7.Boil for 60 minutes
– with 15 minutes left add Amarillo Gold finishing hops and Irish moss
- with 10 minutes left add orange peel

My questions that remain are these: What kind of yeast does this recipe call for? Did you rack to a secondary? What might one expect for OG and FG?

So how did it turn out? This one actually caught my eye, and it has been bottled for about a week, i'll give it a try in another week or so. I'll let ya know.

What kind of yeast does this recipe call for? What might one expect for OG and FG?

Says so right at the top - WLP001. Attenuation 73-80%; for home brewers, expect 75%. That means for a beer of 1.063, you can expect 1.015 or so.

And for the guys who were asking about how it turned out, that information is in the initial post.

Bob

Thanks, Bob. I actually combined this with a similar recipe and brewed it back in March. It's in the bottle for 2 weeks now and I cracked the first one open 2 days ago, it was FANTASTIC.

The changes I made were:

3 lbs Light DME, 3.3lbs Wheat DME, late addition
Full Boil
Zest from 2 lemons
and WLP 008 instead of 001

FG is 1.015 like you expected. I LOVE this beer. I can't wait to drink it out in the hot sun. I can honestly say this my frist brew that I'm completely satisfied with. Thanks for recipe!

Thanks, Bob. I actually combined this with a similar recipe and brewed it back in March. It's in the bottle for 2 weeks now and I cracked the first one open 2 days ago, it was FANTASTIC.

The changes I made were:

Full Boil
Zest from 2 lemons

FG is 1.015 like you expected. I LOVE this beer. I can't wait to drink it out in the hot sun. I can honestly say this my frist brew that I'm completely satisfied with. Thanks for recipe!

I'm going to try this recipe and I like these adjustments. Did you change the orange to lemon or did you add both?

I added both. And you can taste both, but the orange aroma and flavor is much more abundant than the lemon. It balances out great though, this beer is faaaantastic. At this point it is conditioned and my friends and I have been drinking A LOT of it. The changes were inspired by a recipe from my LHBS for a Sam Summer sort of a deal. I don't think I would change a thing now, it's a great recipe!

I live in Alaska (Fairbanks specifically). To my knowledge, we don't have any LHBS here that carries liquid yeasts. The closest place to get liquid yeasts is 400 miles south.

So I'm thinking to sub the WLP008 with something, preferably a dry yeast. Any thoughts on how Safale US-05 would do with this beer?

Well, US-05 will be fine. WLP008 is a really basic strain, no surprising characteristics or flavors. I think White Labs calls it East Coast Ale yeast. For the sake of convenience/time/price I think US-05 or Nottingham would be fine.

Are you using the zest of fresh oranges and lemons? So this is a matter of shaving the peel off to get the zest???

I have obviously never done a recipe like this with zest...can you explain or point me to a place where it explains it...

I want to brew this weekend!

Thanks!

Oh yeah,......when you say "late addition" on the DME....is this adding for just the last 20o minutes of boil? So 30% dme GOES IN INITIALLY THEN AT 40 MINUTES INTOI BOIL PUT IN THE REST OF THE DME?

(Sorry aboiut caps...hit caplock accidnetally....)

The changes I made were:

Full Boil
Zest from 2 lemons

I brewed up this version a few weeks ago (accidentally did 3.3 light and 3 wheat) and it's going into the bottle today. I tasted a sample of it and it was GREAT, I can't wait to get this bottle conditioned!

I brewed up this version a few weeks ago (accidentally did 3.3 light and 3 wheat) and it's going into the bottle today. I tasted a sample of it and it was GREAT, I can't wait to get this bottle conditioned!

Follow up as I finish my last bottle, this turned out as a great well-rounded brew. My friends who don't go for the higher abv styles I usually make claimed it my greatest success, and I had my first "commissioned" brew session to recreate a few cases.

Hey I would like to make this tomorrow but only have a 16 quart stockpot. What kind of downfalls will that have on this turns out?

This says to use about 70% late edition so that's a little over 4pbs at the last 15 minutes and use the rest in the beginning?

Also my primary fermenter has a lot of Airspace about half of it is empty with a 6 gallon batch is that fine?

That's pretty much the definition of late addition. Don't worry too much about the airspace. Once the yeast kicks in, they'll create a layer of krausen and carbon dioxide gas which will protect the beer.

Cheers,

Bob

Cool. Now I only have Northern Brewer hops which I understand is sort of minty aroma. Think those will work well with this recipe? I dont think I have anything to lose. My LHBS is out of every other type of hops right now. I have an 8.5% and a 4 or 4.5% I believe.

Using my calculater app on my iphone I would have to put nearly an ounce of the 8.5% for 60 minutes and 4.5% for the last 25 minutes.

Or is this a terrible idea to match with this recipe? I'm still brand new to this and this will be the first extract brew that I attempt.

I shouldn't think you'll have too much problem with subbing Northern Brewer. Just note that it is not as obviously and strongly flavored as Amarillo; NB is, as you said, minty and more herbal, while Amarillo is one of the citrusy American hops like Cascades. That's what marries well with the orange.

If it were my beer, I'd use the NB and simply omit the orange peel.

Bob

I broke my thermometer half way through haha clueless thankfully had a back up just couldn't find it. I managed to get a gravity reading of 1.060. What would cause irritating be lower? I did pull some of the water out before putting in my extract as I was worried I had too much in there.

Brewing this tonight for my birthday party in late January... subbing 3 lbs wheat for light just as another poster did, doing the rest the same, I'm pumped!

ok...sorry for the noob question but I'm new to liquid yeast (and pretty much to the whole home brew thing...this would be my second brew). How much do I pitch for this recipe?
Thanks!!

I am going to be brewing 25 gallons of this for my sisters wedding. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is! It will be used as the toast, instead of champagne.

I am going to be brewing 25 gallons of this for my sisters wedding. I hope it is as good as everyone says it is! It will be used as the toast, instead of champagne.

Way to go!! Sounds sooo much better than champagne!!

I just bottled mine 5 days ago, so I can't give it a thumbs up quite yet...although I've been known to be very impatient. :)

Good luck with the big batch!!

I just cracked my first of this. Did it mostly as prescribed, but replaced the Simcoe with Citra and used Amarillo pellets that were a higher AA (closer to 10%). I also dry hopped an ounce of that Amarillo for a week.

... and it's great! The extra hops really complement the orange zest. I overpoured the beer and got some yeast sediment in there, but I'm happy I did -- it's making this a great mix of flavors. If anyone's had Surly's Bitter Brewer, it reminds me of that mixed with a witbier (thanks to that yeast and the orange). I dig it.

Looking forward to seeing how this ages, too. I've only had it in bottle for 2 1/2 weeks, after roughly a month in primary. I suspect the orange will pull back a bit, but that's fine by me, as there's a lot of other great flavors coming through.

Thanks for the recipe! I'll definitely be fiddling with this one next spring and summer some more.

EDIT: Realized I used US-05 for yeast (had a packet in the fridge). Doubt it made a big difference, but FWIW.

Brewed this yesterday following the OP's instructions to the letter except adding lemon zest as one other poster suggested.

we will see how it turns out.

Brewed this today with the lady for our 5th overall batch...

-Made my first succesful starter on Thursday with WLP001. Started with a lot water (6.25) gallons and substituted .5oz Summit....could not get Simcoe. Fresh zest of 4 organic naval oranges..lol

My gravity wasn' where I wanted it (1.052)...but what the hell. This should be a tasty one.

Just bottled this late last night. The FG was a little higher than I wanted at just under 1.020. The beer tasted pretty good but was missing more hop aroma and flavor. Next time I'll probably dry hop or put in a bigger late addition.
We'll see how it turns our after a few weeks in the bottle. I'm going on my honeymoon on the 9th-22nd so it'll have plenty of time to condition. Good lawnmower beer on a hot day for sure!

I'm sure this is a very big noob question, but why steep in two different kettles? Why not just steep in one kettle with around 4-5 gallons of water?

I'm sure this is a very big noob question, but why steep in two different kettles? Why not just steep in one kettle with around 4-5 gallons of water?

I'm also a beginner but you only steep in the 2nd kettle for about 10 minutes; if I remember correctly... I assume you do this so when you add the extra gallon, from the 2nd kettle, it doesn't water down the gallon of water in the main kettle you steeped longer in. Just a guess.

Ok here my variation on the recipe. Using I want to use .5 of Citra as the bittering hop, keep the amarillo gold. And then dry hop with the other .5 of citra. Also thinking about using zest of one orange and one lemon.
I only have one 4 gal pot so I was going to do everything in a three gallon boil then mix it all together in the fermentor. Can anyone see any problems with this method? Suggestions? Comments?

Edit: of course I was going to the late extract addition.

Back