Hello from Illinois

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlliniSox4Life

Reaction score
Hey, just wanted to introduce myself to everyone here. A little about me:

I'm a 22 year old college senior at the University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana. I am going to be getting a degree in Economics come May. I have a little bit of free time this semester because I finished up all my hard classes last semester, so I've picked up brewing as a hobby. Unfortunately money limits me more than time. Although there's so much to learn, I like it a lot, and already have dreams of one day opening my own brewpub.

Outside of brewing, my hobbies include being an avid sports fan. I'm a big follower of the White Sox and Bears.

Thanks a lot everyone.

Also forgot to mention that I decided to start blogging about my experiences with brewing (and also different beers I try). It's more or less just a diary to help me work things out and also keep a record of how I've improved over time. I'm still a noob, so there isn't really any information to be learned there, but if you are interested in reading or commenting for my own benefit and want to check it out, the link ishttp://brewingbeers.blogspot.com

Another U of I student here, I'm a junior in Aviation, I know we have at least 2 more on here.

We have brew days every now and then, you're welcome to stop by.

Might be doing an All grain session tomorrow if I can locate some hops.

Welcome to HBT and the addiction! Im here at UIUC too, and wouldnt ya know it im a Bears fan! WOOT! But I think its obvious that im not with you and you crew of flunkies with blonde facial hair! Sorry, but hopefully we can still be freinds :ban: haha

If you ever need help with anything feel free to PM me

Just sent you a PM, 987.

EamusCatuli said:
Welcome to HBT and the addiction! Im here at UIUC too, and wouldnt ya know it im a Bears fan! WOOT! But I think its obvious that im not with you and you crew of flunkies with blonde facial hair! Sorry, but hopefully we can still be freinds :ban: haha

If you ever need help with anything feel free to PM me

Yeah, we can still be friends as long as your side never wins anything :) .

Thanks for the offers of help, as I'll be sure to take a lot of you up on it sometime. I've only brewed 3 batches of extract with some specialty grains, but I'm looking on expanding as soon as I can afford more equipment (who knows when that will be).

Welcome to the forum, glad to have another Sox fan on board. Alot of fun and knowledgable people here, you'll find help with anything you need to know. Good luck and have fun brewing.

z987k said:
the lemon mead was a hit, so was the hefe.
I know we hit a lot of it ourselves. :rockin: I had a bottle of the Lemon Mead yesterday...it was smooth and only slightly tart...very enjoyable. I think I should make some more for NEXT summer...

I'm glad it was enjoyed by other as well...:D

Brewmando said:
Lemon mead? Please tell me (us) more!!

It's just a basic mead:

10 lbs. Honey
10 - 12 oz cans of All Natural Minute Maid Premium Lemonade Concentrate
1 oz Ginger (sliced) (optional)

Boil honey in 1.5 gals of water for 10+ minutes (skim until the surface is clear).
remove from heat.
Add thawed Lemonade and steep for 5 mins

Top off to 5.25 gals.

Starter made with 1 vial of WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast, 1/2 C honey and 2 C water.

Perfect for hot summer days/nights. :rockin: :D

Sorry for the hijack...

It's a very good mead, but looks like it needs that good year to mellow from what I've read of HB99's notes. We'll be making some when our current 25 gallon batch of mead is done.

HB99: Still haven't brewed a dubbel, but I bought a bottle the other day, my favorite style of beer and to think yours was the first I ever had.

Back