"autumn"/"harvest" ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

746d

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking to brew something hearty to drink this fall that is not a Christmas beer or pumpkin beer or Oktoberfest or porter/stout. Preferably something reasonably dark, focused more on malt than hops. Something like Great Lakes' Nosferatu. I think I'm trying to find something like a strong ale, but without a super-amped-up ABV, preferably 6-7%.

Anyone have any extract recipes that they've used that have turned out well?

Thanks,
Tom

Biere de Garde or Alt? BdeG is malt forward, with enough hops to just balance. Complex yeast notes.

Alt is also malty, but finishes very clean and dry. It is normally in the 5% range, and firmly bitter. This is a lagered ale that is a wonderful session beer.

I can post a couple recipes if you are interested. I typically do partial mashes though, which gives you many more options.

I'm thinking something like a brown ale is what I'm leaning towards. Just wanted to throw it out there in case someone had a good style that I hadn't thought of. I should note that I don't have the ability to lager.

But are you looking for a malt forward brown ale or a hop forward one? I just brewed a Newcastle clone but made it slightly darker/more roasty. It turned out really good.

I made a harvest ale last year with Wheat Rye and Oats making a bit over 50% of the grist. Sort of like an idea that the barley harvest wasnt cutting it that year. I guess it would considered a biere de garde in spirit

I'm thinking more malt forward. The problem is that I really have no idea what I want, and brown ales really aren't my favorite, but I can't really think of anything else to make. Maybe I'll just get to work on a winter warmer a bit early.

doesnt get much more malt forward than a doppelbock. Unless you step up to eisbock. Even stouts and porters Id say are more centered on roast flavors than the malt itself

Not made this one personally, but from a book I own. The Recipe is called "Harvest Pale Ale":

Recipe makes 6g, 41 IBU, ABV 4.1%, Color 11 EBC
Mash 60 min, at 149F

Lager malt 8lb 2oz
Vienna 7 oz
Crystal Wheat malt 7 oz

Magnum 16% - .75oz, 60min
Willamette 6.3% - .25oz, 10min
Willamette 6.3% - .66oz flameout
Cascade 6.6% - .66oz flame out

Yeast: WLP060 American Ale
7 day primary 64F
4 week condition 54F

From the book: "This delightful pale ale celebrates the autumn grain harvest and heralds the change of the season. It is a fresh, crisp brew with grainy flavor and citrus finish."

I'm sure you could drop the citrus flavor by skipping the cascade at flameout and subbing in something else for the crystal wheat (has an orange-y flavor).

Let's go with a bier de garde then, anyone have any good extract recipes?

Well, decide on your ABV And go from there.

A Combination of Pilsner or Pale and Munich LME. 70/30 ratio is good.
1 lb sugar

Steep or mash whatever combination of the following

Caravienna 1lb
Munich 1lb
Biscuit 1lb
Melanoidin ..25lb
Special B. 2 oz or Black Patent if you like (1oz)

Hell, add some wheat malt too.

You will want to add
a pound of sugar, as this style should attenuate well. You don't want to end up with a cloying sweetness. Sweet start dry finish is key.

This is a farmhouse ale, and there are no specific guidelines. Traditionally, farmers used whatever they had on hand.

I like one hop addition at 60 mins to get about 25-30 IBU.
You could use Tettananger, Hallertauer, Fuggle, even Saaz.

Yeast choice is important. I like wyeast 3787 Trappist High gravity. Make a good size starter and ferment at 66F. Let it slowly rise throughout fermentation.

The higher the ABV the longer you should age this. 2-4 months at cellar temps mellows it nicely.

Another hop choice that I like is Northern Brewer at 60 (17 Ibu) and Saaz and Northern Brewer at 15 mins. Add another (8ibu total)

Another malt possibility is Aromatic.

Back