Chimay Grande Réserve (Blue)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I'm just letting you know my previous conversation with them. Which is why numbers aren't matching.... It shows lovibond right on the bag. 45L, 90L, 180L....

Maybe CSI will clear this up for us?

I'll pass this up the chain to see where the two meet on the retail packaging side. I work with the webmaster on the site info and mainly in bulk with Craft Brewers. I do know that all of our color analysis was originally done in SRM. I suspect it is probably a print/packaging issue. See bulk D-180 spec label for 50 lb pail below:

D-180 Gold Embossed.jpg

Ok, let us know... I spoke with AJ about the Srm to lovibond. I'm trying to figure out how to put it in beersmith as well

Ok, let us know... I spoke with AJ about the Srm to lovibond. I'm trying to figure out how to put it in beersmith as well

Here's the word from our senior partner. All of our Candi Syrups were measured in SRM and should be entered into brewing software as: D-45 = SRM 45, D-90 = 90 SRM, D-180 = 180 SRM, Golden = 5 SRM. We will have new retail packaging being released this Fall that will be printed with SRM.

Brewed this yesterday. Missed my Og came in at 1.083. Still this should turn out pretty good. Never had Chimay but everyone says it's really good.
Batch Size 5.500 gal Boil Size 6.394 gal
Boil Time 60.000 min Efficiency 75%
OG 1.086 FG 1.020
ABV 8.6% Bitterness 29.9 IBU (Tinseth)
Color 15.9 srm (Morey) Calories (per 12 oz.) 285

Name Type Amount Mashed Late Yield Color
Briess - 2 Row Brewers Malt Grain 13.000 lb Yes No 80% 2.0 srm
Caramunich Malt Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 72% 56.0 srm
Wheat, Torrified Grain 16.000 oz Yes No 79% 2.0 srm
Aromatic Malt Grain 6.000 oz Yes No 78% 26.0 srm
Candi Sugar, Amber Sugar 16.000 oz No No 78% 75.0 srm
Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L Grain 8.000 oz Yes No 75% 10.0 srm

Hops
Name Alpha Amount Use Time Form IBU
Saaz (Czech Republic) 4.5% 1.500 oz Boil 60.000 min Pellet 16.1
Hersbrucker 3% 1.500 oz Boil 10.000 min Pellet 3.9
Hersbrucker 3% 1.500 oz Boil 45.000 min Pellet 9.9

Yeast
Name Type Form Amount Stage
WLP500 - Trappist Ale Yeast Ale Liquid 2.367 tbsp Primary

Did you mash high? 1.02 is quite higher than intended for this recipe.

Brewed this yesterday. Missed my Og came in at 1.083. Still this should turn out pretty good. Never had Chimay but everyone says it's really good.
OG 1.086 FG 1.020

Hops

Yeast

OG 1.086 FG 1.020

Hops

Yeast

Definitely a Belgian style, (and delicious I'm sure), but maybe a little out of spec?

No idea I was guess only because someone asked me to make it. My question is does it have to be bottled wait a quark or bottle as normal with the syrup instead of the priming sugar?

No idea I was guess only because someone asked me to make it. My question is does it have to be bottled wait a quark or bottle as normal with the syrup instead of the priming sugar?

Belgian ales tend to be an exercise in subtlety. For the Chimay grain bill only Pils + one darker malt is required, (Chimay's use of wheat starch is for head retention). Additional malts have been known to sideline a Belgian recipe.

Bottle priming is done after the completion of secondary/brightening and the gravity has reached 1.008 - 1.010. We use 30g of Simplicity Candi Syrup per gallon. If the OG was on mark then re-pitching should not be required.

Your bitterness seems low. You don't bottle with priming sugar. Your use the syrup to prime with from what I understand which would change your color as the end result. Mine to came in with low color but I just figured that was normal.

Perhaps I'm doing this wrong, but I've entered your recipe into BeerSmith, and the calculated results are significantly different from those given here, especially the color and bitterness values. Is BS wrong, or have I entered the data incorrectly?

I think Brewsmith is correct or certainly close enough. The baseline should be the recipe here:

http://www.candisyrup.com/uploads/6/0/3/5/6035776/chimay_grande_reserve_blue_---_trial_001x.pdf

In using 1lb of D-45, (CSI Trial 001), the SRM has aged out lighter than the CGR after 6 months. When using 1lb of D-90, (CSI trial 002), the color ages out to be indistinguishable from the CGR, (also approx 6 months). I've attached a pic of all three together to compare below. My personal favorite as far as cloned palate similarity is the CSI 001 clone. From left to right: (CSI Trial 001, CSI Trial 002, Chimay GR). Hope this helps in the pursuit of the perfect clone :)

Chimay Compare SRM.jpg

Your bitterness seems low. You don't bottle with priming sugar. Your use the syrup to prime with from what I understand which would change your color as the end result. Mine to came in with low color but I just figured that was normal.

Haven't noticied this syrup stuff before, not sure if my local stores carry these syrups, any help on where to order online? I have used the carb buddies for my first Dubbel and tried priming sugar for my second batch. So far the carb buddies have worked better, but then again my 2nd batch has only aged a week in the secondary and 2 weeks in the bottle. I had to take a sample of a 1/2 full 750mL bottle; I had to measure progress. My 3rd batch is in my primary on day 3, my areation trick def worked, but this will be my last batch of Abbeys til the fall or til I get a freezer; sucks living in SoCal with no AC.

Def love this Thread..

Moorebeer is the largest reseller in CA and they carry all of the CSI products. You can also buy it at Northern Brewer, Midwest, Keystone, etc.

I didn't see them on Midwest's website; I'll check Moorebeer, thank you.

I didn't see them on Midwest's website; I'll check Moorebeer, thank you.

Here's the link to Midwest (not easy to find the page):
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/homebrewing-ingredients/beer-adjuncts/belgian-candi-sugar.html

Northern Brewer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/brewing-ingredients/sugars

MoreBeer:
http://morebeer.com/category/brewing-sugars-candi-syrups.html

We also have resellers in Belgium, Holland, and throughout Canada. It's also sold on eBay and Amazon if you have no luck with your local LHBS.

Just found out Mother Earth Brewery, where I get most of my supplies now carries some of the various syrups. Do you ever add syrups directly to your Secondary?

Just added the D90 to my secondary on my transfer early Sunday morning. Wow, amazed at how it changed the color of my entire batch from a dark amber brown color to a light black color. I had heated a pot of water and gave the syrup a bath to help warm it and loosen it up. Poured buttery smooth into the secondary. Can't wait for the month that I'm letting it just hang out in my secondary, or should I let it sit longer before bottling? I know patience is a virtue, but hate to wait too long.

Just added the D90 to my secondary on my transfer early Sunday morning. Wow, amazed at how it changed the color of my entire batch from a dark amber brown color to a light black color. I had heated a pot of water and gave the syrup a bath to help warm it and loosen it up. Poured buttery smooth into the secondary. Can't wait for the month that I'm letting it just hang out in my secondary, or should I let it sit longer before bottling? I know patience is a virtue, but hate to wait too long.

I usually suggest to call it by gravity on a late addition but the sky is the limit on brewing creativity :)

BTW, what was the gravity just prior to your addition of D-90?

I just transferred mine to secondary last night. FG. 1.018. I not adding Candi syrup to mine till bottling time. The question is D45 or D90?

I usually suggest to call it by gravity on a late addition but the sky is the limit on brewing creativity :)

BTW, what was the gravity just prior to your addition of D-90?

OG was 1.072, 13 days in primary, gravity during transfer was a hair under 1.03 prior to addition.

I just transferred mine to secondary last night. FG. 1.018. I not adding Candi syrup to mine till bottling time. The question is D45 or D90?

That's also a question we're considering here. The D-90 matches up the SRM well while the D-45 matches up the flavor profile slightly better. Given that this is a light bodied ale it may be that 2 lbs of D-45 are in order for the next set of trials to match both the SRM and palate.

5 months in. Still not clear, but it was only in the fridge for a couple hours. After mow treat. It is freaking fantastic. Still have plenty to age properly as well. Luckily I am holding back, which is very difficult, because these things are quite delicious at this point.

5 months in. Still not clear, but it was only in the fridge for a couple hours. After mow treat. It is freaking fantastic. Still have plenty to age properly as well. Luckily I am holding back, which is very difficult, because these things are quite delicious at this point.

Wow, that's the stuff. That is a beautiful ale and I know it tastes even better than it looks, (and it looks crazy good). Excellent photography BTW.

Are you going to competition with this one?

I have some 9 month old clones that are getting to be fantastic. I had one last night. I must take a pic for you CSI.

:mug:

Just don't be expecting a crazy sexy shot like the one above!

Thanks for the compliments :). The beer is fantastic might enter it in a comp If one comes around and I have any left ;-). The problem is none are in regular long necks.

So finally hit my FG and aged for 6 weeks with that D90 stuff (I'm hooked), I kegged part of the batched and bottled the rest. Very smooth already, but gonna let it sit for awhile before I can post pics. Going for the full AG batch Sunday afternoon with more yeast, so I can have an even better attenuation and will let it sit for a few weeks after I hit my FG before moving to secondary this time.

I have some 9 month old clones that are getting to be fantastic. I had one last night. I must take a pic for you CSI.

:mug:

Just don't be expecting a crazy sexy shot like the one above!

Any picture of this ale will be a good picture :) Can't wait to see it.

We've been circling around and trialing some of these clones that have aged almost 9 months. It's amazing how well the hops have held up. A really well balanced ale, (if I do say so...)

Here is my attempt. I think I hit pretty close to the ballpark SRM this round because of the extended boil. It tastes pretty damn close too!
Too bad I had to chew off the cork then use a wine corker. Those 22 ounce bottles with the crown cap finish are horrid for corking Belgians!

image-2740666405.jpg

Here is my attempt. I think I hit pretty close to the ballpark SRM this round because of the extended boil. It tastes pretty damn close too!
Too bad I had to chew off the cork then use a wine corker. Those 22 ounce bottles with the crown cap finish are horrid for corking Belgians!

Very nice pic :)

We've started using crown-cap champagne bottles for our longer term storage. I'm not sure how well the crown caps will hold up over time, (4-5 years +)

I only use 750mL bottles, from recycling my used Belgian bottles, to flip top Grolsch bottles, to one of my LHBS that sells the 750mL Euro Champagne bottles. I'm still trying to find a source on the good crown capped belgian corks. I only have a generic wine bottle corker, so unless I'm using a recycled corks from a Chimay or Lost Abbey or similar bottle; I only can get my hands on the generic belgian corks, so the fit and finish ain't perfect, but it works.

I'm brewing this right now. Are most people adding the D-45 at the end of the boil as opposed to after a few days of fermentation. I want to just add it to the boil to keep things simple. Thanks guy

Latest posts

Back