Kolsch yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
ok can someone explain to me, what the point of cold conditioning is with a Kolsch yeast. I am wanting to do something with this yeast, but have no means of cold conditioning 5 gallons. Is it just for clarity? I have tried to find my answer with no luck.

clarity. a kolsch yeast should be fermented at slightly lower temperatures than an ale yeast and it has lager-like qualities but does not have to be cold-conditioned. i have found mien have a harsh taste until they are aged a bit then they're great.

DeathBrewer said:
clarity. a kolsch yeast should be fermented at slightly lower temperatures than an ale yeast and it has lager-like qualities but does not have to be cold-conditioned. i have found mien have a harsh taste until they are aged a bit then they're great.

Cool thats what I was looking for. Thanks for the info. :rockin:

Kolsch yeast takes aaaaaages to settle to the bottom and many times the krausen doesn't even fall after fermentation. I don't have an easy way of cold conditioning either so I just have my yummy yummy kolsch aging for longer in crates under my bed. It's so hard not to drink them... but they do need a little tasting every so often:D

Back