whirlpooling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sucram2202

Reaction score
I finally got a diverter which allows me to pull wort from the side of my kettle instead of the middle. I've atempted twice to do a whirlpool and neither were successful. I'm interested to hear from people who whirlpool as a part of their process. Any advice or tips?

My process is very simple, but had been effective for me.
I simply stir the wort at flame out for a few minutes, creating a nice whirlpool.
Then, let sit for 20 minutes. This is important.
Once I turn the pump on and start drawing from the side, I catch the first few ounces of junk and discard. This will create a nice wort channel in the kettle, allowing me to draw clear wort.
Keep an eye on it as it is drawing down, and you'll be left with a nice trub cake.

I second the rest period after the whirlpool... while I don't bother at home (I just dump it all into my ferm! screw it!), the SOP from the commercial systems I have worked on is a 5-10 minute whirlpool followed by a 30 minute rest. I don't believe those times are needed for a home system, evandena's sound good to me. One thing I would recommend to someone making a fancy home kettle would be to put a trub dam in front of your OUT port, they may not ALWAYS be necessary, but they certainly help.

Back