First pm recipe formulation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdgeBrewer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm brewing my first pm recipe that I came up with tomorrow. It's an IPA, here it is:

5# Mutons Light dry malt extract
3# American 2 row
1# Crystal 60L
1 oz. Amarillo (10.3) 60 min.
.75 oz Amarillo (10.3) 40 min.
2 oz Cascade (5.5) at flameout
Wyeast American Ale II 1272 (1 qt. Starter)

General Thoughts? Also should I use the standard 1.25 qt/lb strike water? I want to mash at 154. And should I then should I use the same ratio of water to grain to sparge with at 170? Finally after the mash and sparge do I just top of with the remaining water to reach my boil volume (I do full boils)? Thanks for all the help! Cheers!

I'd move the 40 minute amarillo to 15 minutes, for flavor, since at 40 minutes all you'll get is bittering.

I'd do this:

1 oz. Amarillo (10.3) 60 min.
.75 oz Amarillo (10.3) 15 min.
1 oz cascade 5 minutes
1 oz Cascade (5.5) at flameout

You can use 1.25-2 quarts of water per pound of grain. If you have a wider pot (or whatever you're mashing in), you may want to go with the higher amount to make sure the grains are thoroughly wetted and stirred very well.

To sparge, you can pour up to 2 quarts of water per pound of grain over the grain bed in a colander, or lift up the grainbed into the sparge water and "dunk" it well. Then combine the runnings (if doing it in the second pot) and then add water (if needed) up to your boil volume.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much Yooper!

So you think adding the Amarillo at 40 mins. would create a hop bomb? I was going for about 60 IBU and using Beer Calculus, these amounts at these timings give me about that. Like I said this is my first recipe calculation and I have never used Beer Calculus, are their numbers reliable? Thanks again!

PS Have you heard of the band the Da Yoopers?

Thanks so much Yooper!

So you think adding the Amarillo at 40 mins. would create a hop bomb? I was going for about 60 IBU and using Beer Calculus, these amounts at these timings give me about that. Like I said this is my first recipe calculation and I have never used Beer Calculus, are their numbers reliable? Thanks again!

PS Have you heard of the band the Da Yoopers?

No- using amarillo at 40 minutes would give you more bittering, but no hops flavor or aroma. If you have more (different) hops, you could "save" the amarillo for flavoring where it is awesome, and use a neutral flavored bittering hop variety.

I never used Beer Calculus, but I would assume it's ok.

I have heard of Da Yoopers, and seen them around a few times. Funny stuff!

Ugh, when I put my grain bag in my strike water I noticed suds forming. Thankfully i hadn't added the grain yet. Probably residual oxyclean from the last time it was used. This oversight does give me the opportunity to ask an additional question. With the "dunk" sparging how long should I leave the grains in the sparge water? Or should I just dunk it several times? Thank you so much for putting up with these noob pm questions. You and others like you are part of what makes the brewing community so great. :)

Back