Brew in process, had an oops.. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CraigH78

Reaction score
Ok started my 60 min boil with the bittering hops in a muslin bag.. 30 min into it the bag appears to have opened somehow and naturally is empty.. What should i do to get the hop pellets out? I dont have any screens or anything to try and filter it..

Strange.. the bag is still tied, just empty.. Looks like all the hops are plastered to the side of the pot on the water line..

just dump em into the fermentor.. siphon off of them when you go to secondary or bottle.. no issues.

you can whirlpool the wort and it sit for 30 min then drain from the side of the kettle and leave most of the hop mess in the kettle. that is what i do

I stopped using hopsacks after batch # 3 or 4, now I just dump everything in.

(BTW, the reason that your tied hopsack is empty is because all hops originally planted by Harry Houdini, so can get out of tight sealed spaces. Or maybe because the pellets broke down and dissolved and the mush went through the netting.) ;)

(BTW, the reason that your tied hopsack is empty is because all hops originally planted by Harry Houdini, so can get out of tight sealed spaces. Or maybe because the pellets broke down and dissolved and the mush went through the netting.) ;)

Houdini's fault... no doubt!

Back