Honey Nut Brown recipe - need feedback!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenDawg19

Reaction score
OK, I know I've gone back and forth with this recipe (see previous posts!). However, I think I've got it. Please tell me what you think.

HONEY NUT BROWN ALE

Target OG: 1.049-57 (a little high for an English Brown but not by much)
Target FG: 1.014-16
Estimated IBUs: 26.5
SRM: 25

Grains:
Crystal Malt 80L 1/2 lb
Honey malt 1/2 lb
Chocolate malt 1/4 lb
Roasted barley 1/4 lb
Biscuit malt 1/4 lb

Fermentables:
Munton's Amber LME 6.6 lb

Hops:
Target 1.25 oz - 60 min
Willamette 0.5 oz - 20 min
Fuggles 0.5 oz - 5 min

Additional:
Irish moss 1 tsp - 15 min

Yeast:
White Labs British Ale Yeast (WLP005)

Looks tasty!

My only suggestion would be to cut out the roasted barley. Usually a nut brown doesnt have any roasted grains in it.

I was looking for a roasted, nutty flavor. However, you aren't the only one who suggested this. If I remove the RB, should I increase the biscuit and chocolate malts?

I would keep the chocolate and biscuit malts around 5% max. My brown ale has 3% chocolate and has a great nutty flavor. A little of the chocolate malt does go a long way

The chocolate and biscuit malts are at 3%. I brewed last night. Tasted good before I pitched the yeast. The honey malt is definitely potent stuff.

I didnt calculate the percentages, but usually biscuit and chocolate are anywhere from 3-5%. Yeah, honey malt is pretty potent stuff and I wouldnt go much higher than that. Let me know how this turns out. I may have to throw a batch together too

I didnt calculate the percentages, but usually biscuit and chocolate are anywhere from 3-5%. Yeah, honey malt is pretty potent stuff and I wouldnt go much higher than that. Let me know how this turns out. I may have to throw a batch together too

I definitely will!

Definitely toss the roasted barley. There's plenty for nutty flavors coming from the chocolate and biscuit.

The only other thing I'd change is swapping Light/Pale extract for the Amber. If you're set on using Amber, you're in the wind; Amber extracts usually have a proportion of crystal malts in, which leads to over-the-top crystal flavors with all that Crystal 80 in there. I'd use Briess Gold or Pils extract if I couldn't get Alexander's.

Cheers!

Bob

Latest posts

Back