Cider Cost Breakdown for a Beginner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtnGoatJoe

Reaction score
Ok, as I attempt to make cider for the first time, I thought it might help other newbies doing research to share my cost breakdown.

Takeaway: Starting out isn't cheap, though it's hardly out of reach.

The biggest thing that can reduce the cost is to buy juice. My costs are high because I bought a juicer (and most of the apples to go with it). But even if you buy juice, it's still going to be a bit pricey. I won't hit $1/12oz bottle for quite a while because I'm going to plant 5 trees this winter, and eventually I will need a cider press. My guess is that I will need to hit several hundred gallons in order to get cider cheaper than the supermarket sells it.

Other cost reduction options: use your neighbor's apples (though here in Western Washington, a lot of homeowners don't keep the apple maggots under control); find a friend with a cider press; keep a yeast starter from the yeasts you like (I bought 4 yeasts this year because I'm experimenting); and buy cheaper ferment containers (again, I'm experimenting so I bought six 1 gallon jugs).

So, that's my experience. I'd love to hear what others have to say!

Edit: Small adjustment to the chart.

Edit 2: I should also mention that I'm buying all of my equipment at my local homebrew store. Buying on the internet would probably save 10%, but the advice I get at the store is priceless.

Cider Cost Chart.png

Another yeast you should try is Lalvin 71B, especially if your apples are tart. (and 71B is a lot cheaper than what you're using)

Wormy apples make perfectly good cider. ;)

The end product will differ, but another thing to consider if you're looking to cut costs is experimenting with store-bought apple juice. I make 5 gallon kegs of cider for about $15 ($3.50 S04 yeast, $10 for 5 gallons apple juice, $1.50 for malic acid and yeast nutrient) that are at least as good as commercial hard ciders like Magners, and better than hard ciders I've made with store-bought apple cider (which in my experience took much longer to clear without a big flavor payoff). Of course if you can get fresh pressed cider-apple juice you've got the potential to make something of a different caliber entirely.

With your setup it'd be relatively easy to run a few gallon jugs of apple juice alongside the ciders to see what you think of the results.

I don't have any apple trees, so my cider comes from local orchards. I'm paying $7 per gallon jug, which makes about 10 bottles on average. This year I'm going to try an orchard that will fill your own bucket, so maybe save some money.

For the non-recurring expenses, add bottle caps and a capper plus a 1/2 gallon jug for top-off volume, some potassium sorbate, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, assorted flavorings, priming sugar... then maybe a CO2 tank and a keg...

So, I thought I run a projection out 5 years and see what it's like. I'm thinking I'll never get to $1 per 12 oz bottle!

Note: This is confidential! Please do not share it with my Finance Minister!!!

Also note that my goal isn't really to reduce expenses. The fruit orchard is something I've wanted to do for a long time, and I'm not looking to ferment LOTS of cider each year. I like experimenting, so I will be sticking to multiple small batches each year. Maybe I'll get good enough to give some away, but I'll believe that when I taste it. In the mean time, this is just for me and my wife (if it's good enough for her!), and the occasional share.

Assumptions
  • My production rate is just a guess. It could easily be more or less (though I don't have room for much more; I will be fermenting much of my cider behind the couch!).
  • I'll still buy some apples, but I'm hoping to source my increase in production with neighborhood trees. I may need to pay for some pest control for my neighbors.
  • Equipment costs will likely go up as equipment wears out or gets broken.
  • I'm not sure how many bottles I will need. I'm thinking I will serve most out of my 1 gallon growlers for the first few years. I have no idea how realistic this is.
  • If I ever get good enough to give some away, then I'll need bottles for that.
  • I'd like to force carbonate eventually, but I may not.
  • If my apple trees start to produce well after 5 years, I should be able to increase production while lowing the amount I purchase. Hard to say what will happen here.
  • There are certain expenses for orchard maintenance. I have no idea what most of these are, but I will eventually need a deer fense (and that will be expensive).
  • I've generalized some of the recurring expenses (potassium sorbate, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, assorted flavorings, priming sugar). I'm guessing about $20/year. Maybe more, maybe less.

Cider 5 Year Projection.png

1) I'm going for some sweetness. Is Lalvin 71B good for that?

2) I prefer my worms fried, thank you.

1) I don't know. I've been fermenting bottled filtered apple juice with a little sugar added, using various champagne yeasts. The resulting cider is totally dry and kind of harsh, but add a tiny bit of sugar syrup when you drink it and the apple flavor comes back. Allegedly, if I aged it a few months it would mellow and taste appley again on its own.

I bottled some cider 2 weeks ago that I fermented with 71B. I'm drinking it already. It is dry but not harsh. Sometimes I muddle a sugar cube in my glass before I pour, but it's also good w/o sweetening at all. With no sugar, it's kind of hard to describe but kinda halfway between champagne and light beer. I will try to set a few bottles of this one aside to age instead of drinking it all right away.

I started a batch last week using S-04 yeast and a little more sugar than usual.

2) Try juicing a few apple maggot apples and see if you can taste the difference. You'll be able to get the apples for free. Just be careful to avoid apples with brown rot spots (unless you like vinegar)

Re: bottles, EZ Cap are cool but if you're looking to save a bit more money, you can get free 12 oz (and occasionally 22 oz bombers) on Craigslist if you're willing to clean them. Of course you'll have to buy caps then, but they're only a few cents per bottle (and with EZ Caps, you'll have to occasionally replace the gaskets so they're not cost-free going forward either).

Re: kegging systems, that "mini keg" looks cool (especially if you definitely intend to keep doing 1 gallon batches) but the regulator it comes with is not brand name. I have zero experience with NortherBrewer's regulators, but have read about other non-brand regulators either leaking or "creeping" up in PSI over time. So you might consider buying the bits separately (here's the minikeg by itself) so you can get a better brand of regulator (Micromatic and Taprite are both well regarded).

Re: CO2 tanks, if you're not going to be storing your tank in a kegerator or other confined space you might consider going with a 20lb tank (it varies, but generally there's some savings in getting 20lb refills over 5lb or 10lb). Also consider that depending on your local CO2 refill options, you may be required to swap (so there might not be a benefit in buying a nice shiny new aluminum tank as opposed to a used one on Craigslist, since you'll get a used one back when you swap). If you decide to go with a new C02 tank, these guys have better prices (be sure to factor in S&H):
http://www.aquariumplants.com/CO2_Cylinders_guaranteed_unbeatable_prices_p/t.htm
https://beveragelements.com/product-category/gas-cylinders-regulators/co2-cylinders/

To the OP: If you are in Western Washington State, don't you have any commercial orchards in your area? If so. try to find a small mom and pop operation and see if they'll let you pick up their "seconds" off the ground or if they'll sell you bushels of seconds. I can make pretty good hard cider for $3/gallon or less using seconds from the local orchards around here. I don't figure in the costs of all the equipment because I also use it to make beer and wine and if I get out if the hobby I can always sell all that stuff on craigslist or ebay.

To the OP: If you are in Western Washington State, don't you have any commercial orchards in your area? If so. try to find a small mom and pop operation and see if they'll let you pick up their "seconds" off the ground or if they'll sell you bushels of seconds. I can make pretty good hard cider for $3/gallon or less using seconds from the local orchards around here.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm hoping I can get a line on some more neighborhood trees and avoid paying for apples. But yeah, I'll keep your idea in mind for next year. Thanks!

2) Try juicing a few apple maggot apples and see if you can taste the difference. You'll be able to get the apples for free. Just be careful to avoid apples with brown rot spots (unless you like vinegar)

When I first read this, I thought you were kidding. Now I'm not so sure. I wasn't worried about taste as much as the yuck factor.

Latest posts

Back