Will frozen limeade harm my yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fat x nub

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So lets say i want to put frozen limeade in my primary fermentation carboy and then pitch my yeast. Will the yeast be harmed in any way or can i go for it?

It depends on what preservatives are in it, and in what amount. But why do you want to do that?

my friends favorite beer is BL Lime (dont ask me why :() and i told him i would try to make a light lime beer. So i developed a little recipe. Ok...can u give me a little example of what types of preservatives will kill yeast. Im new to this

Even olllllo likes a little fruit:

[thread]69198[/thread]

No reason to get the man down.

the only time i have ever really used lime was one time with corona like everybody else does. i actually like the little extra sweet flavor it gave to it. i hope i enjoy this beer but i am a traditional beer guy so u know. I think i am gunna wip up a 2.5 gallon batch and see if the yeast survives. i have the recipe all written up so i will let u guys know how it goes in about a month :)

I wouldn't bother with lime concentrate. Just take a little vodka and the zest of a lime and let them sit together for a couple weeks, you'll get a nice lime extract. Then add that to taste when you're bottling.

Also, keep in mind that lime flavor without carbonation will seem somewhat stale and uninteresting to you. Resist the urge to keep adding lime flavor to compensate for this. It will perk up massively when carbonated. I'd say to add only until it's a little bit weaker than you want it in the finished beer, the carbonation will really improve it.

If you really want to nail it, I think the lime flavor can be drastically improved by making both a lime extract (vodka + lime zest) and a lime bitter (vodka + lime peel, including both zest and pith). Together they give a much more balanced and authentic lime flavor.

I have no problem with putting lime in beer, I was just wondering why he wanted to use the frozen concentrate. I think the vodka and zest of lime would work much better.

I strongly recommend doing both the extract and the bitter with the lime. I just did it with my Cherry-Lime Wheat and having both lime flavorings allowed me to get a much more balanced lime profile into the beer. The bitters are easier to make anyway, you just peel the lime and throw the whole peel in some vodka.

I wouldn't bother with lime concentrate. Just take a little vodka and the zest of a lime and let them sit together for a couple weeks, you'll get a nice lime extract. Then add that to taste when you're bottling.

Also, keep in mind that lime flavor without carbonation will seem somewhat stale and uninteresting to you. Resist the urge to keep adding lime flavor to compensate for this. It will perk up massively when carbonated. I'd say to add only until it's a little bit weaker than you want it in the finished beer, the carbonation will really improve it.

If you really want to nail it, I think the lime flavor can be drastically improved by making both a lime extract (vodka + lime zest) and a lime bitter (vodka + lime peel, including both zest and pith). Together they give a much more balanced and authentic lime flavor.

ok thanks im gunna try this. do u have a rough estimate about how much lime and vodka to use?? And what do u guys thinks about letting some limes soak in the beer during secondary fermentation??

You won't pick up much flavor from soaking limes/lime juice/lime zest in the beer during secondary, it's probably a waste of limes.

I just put the zest of one lime in a small flip-top bottle I got at world market for $1, it probably holds, I dunno, maybe 6 ounces? I put the zest in there, then topped it up with vodka, shook it gently every few days to make sure everything stayed clean and in the zest got through the whole thing.

For the bitters, I peeled one lime, roughly broke the peel into pieces maybe 1 and a half inches long, put them in the bottom of an empty spaghetti sauce jar and poured enough vodka in to cover them. I also shook this gently every few days.

There's not really a "wrong" way to do this. If you have too much vodka, your extract will just be more dilute. If you have too little, it'll just be stronger. It's a very flexible process.

You won't pick up much flavor from soaking limes/lime juice/lime zest in the beer during secondary, it's probably a waste of limes.

I just put the zest of one lime in a small flip-top bottle I got at world market for $1, it probably holds, I dunno, maybe 6 ounces? I put the zest in there, then topped it up with vodka, shook it gently every few days to make sure everything stayed clean and in the zest got through the whole thing.

For the bitters, I peeled one lime, roughly broke the peel into pieces maybe 1 and a half inches long, put them in the bottom of an empty spaghetti sauce jar and poured enough vodka in to cover them. I also shook this gently every few days.

There's not really a "wrong" way to do this. If you have too much vodka, your extract will just be more dilute. If you have too little, it'll just be stronger. It's a very flexible process.

aight thanks...im excited to do this now :)

Back