Once grain is crushed...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbaesl

Reaction score
Once your have crushed your grain, say at the brewshop. How long do you have before you should use it?

Thanks, Mark

mtbaesl said:
Once your have crushed your grain, say at the brewshop. How long do you have before you should use it?

Thanks, Mark

Oh boy....This is a topic of opinion. some say two weeks, others say no problem.

I double bag all grain and attempt to purge the air out. I then pack it in a storage tub.

I've put grains in a zip-lock bag and then into an "air-tight" tub and it's stayed good for months. Now how air-tight the tub is I can't say, but I was worried and it turned out there was no reason to be. With that said, I would say the sooner you can use them the better.

I purchase grain directly from the wholesaler. The wholesaler informed me as long as I store my grain in a dry environment. The grain will keep indefinitely. No matter whether the grain is milled or not. I buy 50# milled bags of base malt 3 times a year. I only use 8lbs of malt for each 5 gals of ale. Our computer room has the lowest humidity.

Back