The Nice People Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HawksBrewer

Reaction score
I have seen so much complaining and moaning about every little thing recently on here, that I wanted to start a counter thread. I realize sometimes people need to vent, but it's gotten out of hand recently.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/people-i-should-able-kill-coffee-table-book-413446/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/driving-passing-lane-414517/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f45/dick-neighbor-412608/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f19/things-about-your-co-workers-annoy-you-412707/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/most-annoying-response-when-you-tell-someone-youre-homebrewer-409481/

This is a thread where people actually post NICE things that people did for them, or something that they actually ENJOY about life. Sure I get annoyed at some stupid stuff that people do now and again, but complaining about it gets you nowhere.

I'll start.

Yesterday when I got home the house was perfectly cleaned, and a piping hot dinner and a beer were sitting on the table waiting for me. Keep in mind my wife and I have 9 month old twins, making this quite the task.

Another one: when driving home yesterday I put my turn signal on to merge over a ways before my exit. The car next to me slowed down to let me in. I waved.

What's something POSITIVE that's happened in your life recently?

Every day I go into work, I get reminded to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. For me, I get to work on the shore of Lake Michigan. And as such, I get to look west to the horizon over the water. And when I work evenings, I get the sunset out there as well.

I have a very good paying job that is stable, but sometimes frustrating, in which I get to watch a natural wonder on a regular basis. This is what often centers me and reminds me that even when things aren't going to plan, it isn't such a bad thing.

This EVIL inconsiderate person drove in the left lane......I passed them on the right.....AND LET THEM LIVE!!!!!

Oh JOY!!

;)

Every day I go into work, I get reminded to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. For me, I get to work on the shore of Lake Michigan. And as such, I get to look west to the horizon over the water. And when I work evenings, I get the sunset out there as well.

I have a very good paying job that is stable, but sometimes frustrating, in which I get to watch a natural wonder on a regular basis. This is what often centers me and reminds me that even when things aren't going to plan, it isn't such a bad thing.

I love Holland. My in-laws have a condo in Grand Haven so we're up there as often as possible, and my wife loves shopping in downtown Holland. Great area.

I went to hang with a fellow homebrewer, who gave me some beers for putting together a group-buy we did earlier in the year. Before I left he also gave me 4oz. of Strisselspalt hops. I brewed a wheat beer that night and my tettnanger hops had been, for months, in the bag the local brewery put them in for a competition. I opened them and they had ZERO aroma whatsoever, they were stale. So I grabbed the vacuum-sealed Strisselspalt my fellow brewer had given me and adjusted on the fly. I was glad I had them because I needed something noble for the beer and had nothing else.

Yesterday my kids beat me to the punch on every chore I could think of. The laundry was put away, litter boxes emptied, bathroom scrubbed, bedrooms picked up. And the wife made sloppy joes for dinner. All in all it was a good day made better by my (usually not so attentive) family.

Now we're starting to get somewhere. It's good to see not everyone here is uber-focused on the negative aspects of life. That is, except for cheezy, who is pretty much a lost cause at this point. ;)

Got to enjoy motorcycling in to work this morning, with no one cutting me off or trying to merge into me, and it looks like the rain is goiing to hold off long enough for me to get home and remain dry.

Got recognized by a 'customer' of our help desk today and thanked for doing my job. A little recognition really does make all the difference when people tend to call help desks pissed off an yelling.

HawksBrewer said:
Now we're starting to get somewhere. It's good to see not everyone here is uber-focused on the negative aspects of life. That is, except for cheezy, who is pretty much a lost cause at this point. ;)

Don't worry. I am also a contributor to every one of the negative threads you mentioned.

I have the joy of visiting my oldest daughter and son-in-law, and enjoying my 17-month old grandson! My daughter is pregnant with grandchild #2, and at her doctor visit today, everything is looking A-OK! I will be sad to leave on Monday for a 950-mile drive back home, but I will definitely enjoy the memories of this visit!

glenn514:mug:

Cheezy is not uber-focused on the negative and is not a lost cause ...
Cheezy is simply a realist!

Gravity is a lie --- the world sucks, this place death trap absolutely no one gets out alive ...

Thinking happy and good thoughts about other people does not make them good or happy just as it will not make you good or happy.

and today is a great day! Why? I lam still alive

What could be better than waking up before sunrise and living to see the sunset. Every time that happens I feel great because I get another chance to do it again.

I'm paying my bills, my grass is really green this year, and my pipeline is full.

I'm reading a lot. That's when I know life is going well.

Balling like there's no tomorrow. My Rays are over 500, though they had it handed to them today.

Well, that's the news from Passedpawn's domain, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the children are above average.

Woot!

HEY, A good one? My Michigan born wife, transplanted to the south here, dealing with a Adult-child who she keeps saying should be in Adult daycare. (I waste all my extra money on Hotrods and Harleys, stitches, liquid skin, welding and now brewing)

Deals with customer service complaints all day for a major company, comes home only to have a Hawk scratch both pillars on her (2nd) ever new car.. that's her coming out with a broom to whip the hawks ass. He/she is smart enough to fly off.

Cheers, we could all work for the IRS. NOW them are some hated people.

Last edited by a moderator:
I realized while sitting in the car waiting for wife & son to finish shopping that happiness isn't a state of mind that you were born with or whatever.
The video is right,it has to be a concious decision. Just realising the "other guy" is probably going through the same stuff helps.

Another one: when driving home yesterday I put my turn signal on to merge over a ways before my exit. The car next to me slowed down to let me in. I waved.

Wait a minute......You drive in Chicago and someone LET YOU IN when you signaled???!?! Did the car have outta state plates on it?

My roommates were quiet and let me take an hour nap today after work. Tomorrow I brew (hopefully). Way to go roommates. You deserve a beer. I think I shall offer them one.

Go O's! More than a decade of waiting for the team to be relevant again. My son got to see his first winning season last year....and this year ain't going too bad either. :)

My 3rd grandchild is being born as we speak and I am stuck at work but that's OK, G:mug:randma is there to see the birth!!

There was a thread recently on reddit about the nicest thing someone has done for you. It was a tough read, even for a hairy chested, bearded man. One of the posts described an amazing interaction, and ended with a phrase that has stuck with me ever since.

Today you, tomorrow me.

Because of that, I try and offer my help, tools, jumper cables, whatever to people in need. Sometimes it scares my wife when I stop and help a stranger, but overall it has been really fulfilling. Mostly because people are so surprised someone stopped to help. It's sad that is surprising.

Wait a minute......You drive in Chicago and someone LET YOU IN when you signaled???!?! Did the car have outta state plates on it?

Yeah, I was pretty amazed myself. :D

Yesterday my daughter stood up by herself without holding onto anything and proceeded to dance and wave before deciding to sit down (she's 9 mo). Such an amazing thing to see them progress and learn new things. Made me a proud dad!

After work today my wife and I are meeting friends at the beach for a few days, and I'm taking 2 coolers of my homebrew

G:mug:randma sounds like a hoot!!!

She is, she's a child at heart and so all children love her! and at 5ft tall she isn't much bigger than the kids. She is a serious Stars Wars Fan and has sworn to leave me if Vader ever knocks on our door.

My grandson was born at 2:35am this morning, she got to cut the cord!!! She has cut the cord for all 3 grandchildren so far.
6lbs 2oz and 19in, Landen Maverick Poole :ban::mug:

A business contact of mine took me golfing at a private club earlier this week. Bought my lunch and my round (well over $100)...it was awesome. I'm going to return the favor by taking him salmon fishing.

I was in a car accident a week ago and have been pretty sore. I jacked my wives ford edge up. When I dropped it off at the shop I figured they would give me a pos rental car. They asked if I wanted a Monte Carlo. I said nope it's smaller than my wife's car. The lady said how about a Tahoe or a minivan. I said a Tahoe is cool. They brought me to a decked out Tahoe leather seats and all. So if I have to deal with all the bs of an accident at least I get a badass rental car.

No homeless people in my town were set on fire last month. I hope that people will recognize my own personal contribution in achieving this act of mercy.

Beer Nice: The guy at my local distributor, who saves bottles for me, urged me to try Heresy last week. It was on special, but I didn't buy any. So he gave me one free to try. It was great, I bought more.
A guy on MrBeer Forum sent me some hops, caps, sanitizer, free. He had more than he needed.
I sent a spare fermenter lid to a guy who lost his.
And I didn't even hit anyone this week, let alone roast them.

Got a older retired guy at work, who comes in occasionally to fill in for someone. I walked by and saw him struggling with what was really a "you need 3 hands job", so I stopped to help him out. Later in the day he came and found me, just to tell me "thank you, I really appreciated your help earlier".

My wife made eggs Benedict last night for a late meal. I have been sick the last few days and grouchy. She says "oh, I should have asked if you wanted some." I started laughing and she immediately tries to clarify what I already knew. She had already made me a plate of it and was worried I might not feel up to it. Best late night snack ever.

Yesterday was obviously father's day. My wife knew that the temperature in the extra stand up shower I use to ferment in is above 70F at this point so she got me a "bucket 'o fun." It was a large rubbermaid bucket the perfect size for a swamp cooler, and inside was a large picnic blanket, 2 bottles of champagne, bubbles for the kids and assorted snacks. Oh, and a new grill cover. :D We spent 2 hours at the park and then found a newish BBQ joint for pulled pork sliders and Alpha King on tap. Turned out to be the best day ever, and of course the kids loved the bubbles - their first time!

HawksBrewer said:
Yesterday was obviously father's day. My wife knew that the temperature in the extra stand up shower I use to ferment in is above 70F at this point so she got me a "bucket 'o fun." It was a large rubbermaid bucket the perfect size for a swamp cooler, and inside was a large picnic blanket, 2 bottles of champagne, bubbles for the kids and assorted snacks. Oh, and a new grill cover. :D We spent 2 hours at the park and then found a newish BBQ joint for pulled pork sliders and Alpha King on tap. Turned out to be the best day ever, and of course the kids loved the bubbles - their first time!

Where's the new BBQ joint you went to? There is a new one on Western by Devon that I want to try.

Where's the new BBQ joint you went to? There is a new one on Western by Devon that I want to try.

I don't know if it's brand new, but it was new to us. Gio's on Damen/Ainslie in Ravenswood. Actually pretty decent BBQ and an excellent draft list, including Alpha King, Anti-Hero, Lil Sumpin Sumpin, Lagunitas IPA and others.

Back