Rebuilding - Again...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making a little bit of progress. Installed the rubber mat. Made a connection hose, figured out my pump layout as well.
Ordered a few more small things the found out I don't need them...if I don't mess up I will have 2 sets of vinyl sight glass markings up for grabs.
Also realised that I am short 1 F cam lock, I hate ordering something like that and paying shipping that will turn out to be more than the part....

10453704_1501625706733744_1310905303_n.jpg

On further inspection and thought, I am missing the cams I need to connect my CFC.

I did get the cams I was missing for my pumps, also some T's for the temp probes.

I will sit down and get a finial parts list done this weekend, and I hope to be brewing by AUG.

Update on the control panel...contractor 1 after having it for 2 weeks called and said they did nothave time to look at it.

contractor 2, looked at it yesterday and said it wold be ready by next Friday....

Tim

Did the auto tune/wet test this morning. Few leaks to fix but everything else went well.

Picked up a 7 cf keezer fridge will fit 4 pin locks with a collar for $125 yesterday. Right now on my way home with a 22 cf fridge that will let me put both fermenters side by side CL special for $75. Now to sell my mini fridge and order a 3 tap set up instead of a 2 tap.

The panel looks pretty nice. What did they charge to wire it up for you?

Looks like things are moving forward!

$170,

Estimated 2 hours for the job, quoted me no more than $170

Took him over 6 to do the job

Tim

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

so long time no update, the set up is up and running, and running well, but I have decided to downsize a bit, so it will be up for sale very soon.

Here is shot of the completed system

I want to free up some space and have some flex in my brewing batch size, as well as I needs to free up some cash....

I am working on a break down of what my system cost me, so I can post it for sale here and on CL.

T

I thought that going to a single vessel eRIMS BIAB would make me happy...I was wrong.

So I am going back to my 2 pot set up that was fun to use bit a little more work to clean than the BIAB.

It will run like a countertop Brutus 20

In doing so, I have some options.

1. Stick with the 12 inch domed false bottom that I have, but feel like it is not as efficient as it should be. (nothing to back it up, just a gut feeling)
2. Move to a 15 inch false bottom that would fill the bottom of my pot a lot better. There is a 17 inch version as well, but I don't think it will fit in the bottom of my pot because the sides roll in.
3. Make a CPVC manifold
4. Try and use the BIAB bag with any of the options above to speed up cleaning.

I have moved to brewing smaller batches, 10 gallons was just to much, so I should be able to get buy with one pump. I have a second one, but I am scared to count on it because it was overheated and shut down a few times.

New basic process

1. heat the strike water in the boil kettle to a few degrees of temp.
2. transfer the water from the BK to MT and set up the eRIMS to get back to strike temp
3. Dough-in & Mash
4. Transfer back to BK and finish up.

Feed back wanted and welcome.

T

New basic process

1. heat the strike water in the boil kettle to a few degrees of temp.
2. transfer the water from the BK to MT and set up the eRIMS to get back to strike temp
3. Dough-in & Mash
4. Transfer back to BK and finish up.

Feed back wanted and welcome.

T

I run a similar process - a 2 vessel system.
The biggest difference is that I added a timer to my eRIMS. I fill the mash tun with water before I go to bed (I almost always brew early in the morning) and set the timer to kick on an hour before I want to mash in. The system turns on, starts recirculating and heating to strike temp and is waiting on me when I walk downstairs to mash in.

I batch sparge and heat the sparge water in my BK while I mash.

Mash out and then it's all in the BK while I clean the mash tun.

The 3 vessel was just to much to deal with. Was not enjoying it they way I thought I would.

The Single BIAB was a hassle. Bag issues, it kept restricting the flow, but clean up was a breeze.

In the end, I liked the 2 the best

I run a similar process - a 2 vessel system.

The biggest difference is that I added a timer to my eRIMS. I fill the mash tun with water before I go to bed (I almost always brew early in the morning) and set the timer to kick on an hour before I want to mash in. The system turns on, starts recirculating and heating to strike temp and is waiting on me when I walk downstairs to mash in.

I batch sparge and heat the sparge water in my BK while I mash.

Mash out and then it's all in the BK while I clean the mash tun.

How do you batch sparge?

I get you have the sparge water in the BK, where do run the 1st runnings

That's part of the battle! Glad to hear you've found a setup that works best for you. Happy brewing!

Kal

Still need some input on what could be the best way to go;
cpvc manifold
new, larger false bottom
combo of manifold false bottom and BIAB bag

all input welcome

Still need some input on what could be the best way to go;
cpvc manifold
new, larger false bottom
combo of manifold false bottom and BIAB bag

all input welcome

I use a 2 vessel system as well. I started with a cpvc manifold. But moved to a full vessel diameter false bottom and havent looked back. I got real close to a stuck sparge a number of times with the cpvc manifold, just not enough open area for circulating with a pump, at least for the manifold I had. I can't speak to BIAB as I have have never gone down that route.

Thx TX

Using the BIAB would be in conjunction with either the manifold or false bottom as a way to combat stuck sparge and help with clean up

Are you all talking about basically running a Countertop Brutus 20/2.0 or kettle rims like the the Breweasy or actually batch sparging?

It is / will be a 2 vessel, side by side, eRIMS. It is capable of Brutus 20 style full volume mashing, and I do have 2 pumps to use.

It also has the ability to be a all of the above with BIAB for the mash tun. Problem is, overtime I use the BIAB Bag, it clogs up my outlet, and restricts the circulation flow.

I have used it as a B20 with he smaller domed false bottom and it worked ok. Attached is a pic of the B20 setup.

So now that I am reconfiguring it yet again, I am just looking for input on possible ways to improve it.

Something new that I just thought of is I could build a CPVS "rack" out of 3/4 pipe to keep the BIAB Bag elevated off the bottom and possibly free up the dip tube so that the flow does not get restricted.

Also...how do you batch sparge in a 2 vessel system

T

81b13f5dc20402fefe9296e758e5d863.jpg

I was thinking the same thing about the batch sparge... Not possible unless you add a bucket and then you are at 3 vessels.

Sorry for the dumb question but what does "cpvs" mean?

If just get a flat false bottom and drill a hole for the dip tub to go through to the bottom of your mashtun.

We are a bunch of sassy folks on the forum. I'm still wondering what the acronym means?

I've been brewing 2 vessel like the breweasy but have contemplated the Brutus and going 1 vessel BIAB. Been trying to figure out the pros and cons of 2 vs 1 vessel is all. Your initial post got me interested in what you were doing.

CPVC = Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride

What most simply call "vinyl hose". Looks like this:

LT6_VinylTube_8262010.gif

Kal

For recirculating, I like the mesh baskets, but they are spendy. If that's not on the table then a good bag and false bottom should do the trick.

The more surface area you have the to lauter thru the better for recirculating.

I love your control panel paint job! But I'm bias.

Thought the straight Flag might be a bit to obvious, but in hind sight, I wish I would have!

This weekend I will build a CPVC Rack to create stand off and see if it works.

T

I love your control panel paint job! But I'm bias.

Thought the straight Flag might be a bit to obvious, but in hind sight, I wish I would have!

This weekend I will build a CPVC Rack to create stand off and see if it works.

T

Nice rig you built. Good luck tweaking it to get it where you want it, and thank you for your service to our great country! :mug:

John

Picked up the lumber to make the dedicated Brutus 20 set

Will be about 24x50 at about 20-24 inches high.

Will have the RIMs mounted behind the pots and be long enough to place my control panel between the 2 pots

Picked up the lumber to make the dedicated Brutus 20 set

Will be about 24x50 at about 20-24 inches high.

Will have the RIMs mounted behind the pots and be long enough to place my control panel between the 2 pots

Back