50g barrel, partial mash, bourbon stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCSUpra

Reaction score
This will be my first partial mash beer, as I have always been a AG brewer for the last 3 years. As I am a little confused on how to execute my next brew I am now turning to the forum that I have been reading for a while.

As background to my current dilemma, this year for Christmas my mom, dad, gf, and I did the Kentucky Bourbon trail instead of giving gifts for everyone. While we were at Wild Turkey I ended up making friends with one of the guys on the bottling line and got a 50g barrel to take home. So of course I decide to make beer and fill the barrel, but I am struggling on what to make and how to execute a brew this large.

My equipment is:
60q & 40q Polarware mash tuns
3x 52l glass demijohns
Enough hot water to make whatever

Brew this far what is planned:
Bourbon Stout
9# chocolate malt
9# crystal120L
9# oats, flakes
40#LightDME
4oz Northern Brewer - 60m
4oz Fuggles - 15m

My biggest questions how to make 45-50g. I have two thoughts on this but not sure which will make a better beer.
Option 1) go for a 27#AG brew and then add 40#DME to the boil. Ferment primary at 12g. For secondary dilute 3:1 with sterilized water. Finish in the barrel at 35-45g depending on all dilutions
Option 2) go for a 27#AG mash and ferment primary. Boil and sterilize the 40#DME for the 3x dilution for secondary
Option 3) anything else ...

No matter what is brewed I would like to put the beer in the barrel without active fermentation to minimize / eliminate any dead yeast fall out. I plan on storing the barrel at least 1 month with at least 2 cycles of heat and cold to get the oak and bourbon flavors. Finishing will be done in 1x half BR, 2x quarter BR and the rest in 0.5L bottles.

Any help or suggestions is will appreciated.

By the way this is my first post on the forums. Cheers:mug:

My club has a couple 50 gallon barrels and the only way I can see filling them is to have around 5 people brew a 10 gallon batch of the same beer. This way it is easier on you because you dont have to worry about brewing so much beer (and what to do with 50 gallons of the same beer).

Chromados

Back