"Chunky" hydrometer samples...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrambledegg81

Flocculation Nation
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So during my 10³ Belgian Strong Ale brew, I tried taking 2 separate hydro samples on what was supposed to be a 1.082 OG. Since I apparently had a load of trub in the boil, my hydrometer tube was obviously full of "chunks" which I can only surmise threw off the reading of 1.094 that I got. Tried taking it just prior to filling the primary, and about 1/2 way through, and it was still nice & chunkified. (Good thing I tossed Whirlfloc in it...)

Any way around this, or is there any way to compensate for extra-thick hydro samples?

AFAIK chunks shouldn't have any effect on the SG unless they are stopping the hydrometer from floating. Analogy - getting into a bath doesn't raise or lower the SG of the water in the bath.
Could you strain the sample, I've seen (i think it was Kaiser) using just paper towels in a funnel to stain the BK dregs to get some starter wort that he would then reboil before use (i think).

Back