Temperatures during secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcd

Reaction score
Hello,

A week ago I brewed an amber beer. My apartment is pretty warm and I was having problems with banana flavors, etc, so I used a chiller thing to keep my temps down during this fermentation.

I racked to secondary tonight and it tasted great, no phenols etc.

I'm wondering, though, how does ambient temperature during secondary fermentation affect this? I figure fermentation has stopped... gravity was .010 and the krausen had fallen off, etc... is it safe to stick the carboy in my closet where ambient temp may be around 73-75F? Or might more terrible banana flavors, etc, form?

I don't mind keeping it cooled in the chamber for the next few weeks, but if it isn't necessary, it would save me a lot of time changing out the bottles of ice, etc.

Thanks

With the temperatures you've listed, I think the beer in the secondary will be fine there. I'd be a little more concerned if you were pushing 80F, but I think a lot of people have low/mid 70s for their ferments without problems. One plus to your temperatures is once you bottle your beer should carbonate rather quickly, maybe as fast as 7-10 days. I once had a beer carbonate fully in about 7, then again I've some take a month.

Does anyone know if it is safe at a low temp, say, 63. That it what temps I have in my closet around 60 and I am afraid may be too low.

Tahnks

For settling and clearing, cooler is actually better. I have my latest out in the garage where it is about 35-40F.

david_42 said:
For settling and clearing, cooler is actually better. I have my latest out in the garage where it is about 35-40F.

Ahhh...put me at ease. Thanks:D

Back