coors light recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im not bothering to post this in the recipe thread in fear of crucifixion, wait... going to make a long story short. every month my poker group picks a beer for me to try and clone. they are all beer drinkers, micro brews and imports, but when we play poker we are drinking to get drunk and usually drink bmc because otherwise we would be spending more on beer than the 30$ buy in. anyways got a few good ones under my belt. Anyways last night one of the DD's brought 2 Stella's and challenged me to make a stella clone. I told them that i dont have enough knowledge to do that. after a bunch of **** givin to me by everyone because ive never failed before they told be to make the simplest lauger. COORS LIGHT. Can someone help me with this one, i dont even know how to make a light extract beer, or let alone had very good luck cloning lagers. If anyone knows a clone kit for coors light please help me out. personal message me if you feel shame.

Thanks

:mug:
Why would you even bother? It is actually cheaper to buy it than to brew it. I made an MGD clone for a friend It was a light lager considering the ingredients, time in the lagering fridge etc. I told him not doing it again, next party it is cheaper and easier to buy it on sale than to make it.

If you have the refridgeration, and AG equiptment along with the confidence in your brewing skills, then PM me and I'll send you an American Lite Lager recipe to get started with. It's not a Coors clone, but kinda like it.
Cheers and good brewing.......

I too make American style light Lagers, but to try and clone a BMC is not cost/time effective, when you can get 30packs on sale for $14. If you are going to do one, design or find a recipe that gives you something you can't buy dirt cheap. :ban: I actually led friend mentioned above to the understanding that Homebrew can be better than MGB and doesn't have to be dark beer.

I have an American Lager on tap right now that is pretty much a dead ringer for Coors. The only things I would change to get it closer to Coors would be take out the bit of 6-row I have and make it all 2-row and sub in corn starch in place of the corn. These practices are both done by Coors and I think it would be hard for even a Coors fan to tell the difference after those changes.

I have an American Lager on tap right now that is pretty much a dead ringer for Coors. The only things I would change to get it closer to Coors would be take out the bit of 6-row I have and make it all 2-row and sub in corn starch in place of the corn. These practices are both done by Coors and I think it would be hard for even a Coors fan to tell the difference after those changes.

Could I get your current recipe?

Could I get your current recipe?
Yeah, I will check when I get home to be sure but it went something like this for the 10 gal batch:

7lbs 2-row
7lbs 6-row
3lbs flaked corn
3lbs flaked rice

ounce of willamette (Glacier would work well too) at 60 and another ounce at 30

Pitch at 45 and ferment at 48-50, filter and carbonate very highly.

Keep it simple and keep it clean, have a nice big pitch of yeast and serve it as cold as you can. This is for a Standard American Lager, if you want to get closer to a lite I would just reduce the 2-row by five pounds or so. This will increase the adjuct percentage and lower the gravity. I would also delete the 30 min hop addition for a lite lager.

Edit: If you want it closer to a specific company here is the approach I would take:

Bud: take out the 2-row and use all 6-row, use rice syrup solids for all of the adjunct.

Coors: take out the 6-row and use all 2-row, use refined corn starch in place of the corn at about 10oz per lb of corn but leave the rice as is.

Miller: Use brewers corn syrup for all of the adjunct, I know AHS carries this.

I checked it and that is the right recipe. I had some people over for a game night last night and one of my friends who drinks Bud exclusively said that she likes that one better than Bud. Take it for what it's worth but I think I'll keep this recipe and it would be a good one to build off of for a premium lager too.

I re-read the OP's original post again.

Just to make sure I'm clear, he wants to make an EXACT clone of Coors light to prove that he can do it.

I'm going to give the simple answer this time, now that I know what he is looking for.

With extract brewing methods, an exact clone of Coors light is pretty much impossible.

With extract brewing methods, an exact clone of Coors light is pretty much impossible.
I think you could get pretty close. These beers are more a showcase of how clean you can brew and how well you can handle the fermentation. An extract batch would likely be missing that "grainy" flavor but I don't get that nearly as much out of Coors as I do Bud. It won't be exactly the same, but I think with good yeast handling and a very clean process you could get pretty darn close. I think the hardest part would be getting it to go dry enough since you don't have control over the fermentability. You would probably have the best results using an enzymatic malt extract or adding some amylase to your wort for a while before boiling.

I would do this:
The lightest DME you can find 60%
Brewers Corn Syrup 20%
Rice Syrup solids 20%
6-8 BUs with something very clean like Glacier

OG in the 1.030s and pitch plenty of yeast. I might even do a shorter than normal boil to keep the SRMs down.

I'll be the first to admit that I have made my fair share of BMC wisecracks. I'm here to tell you though that I can enjoy all three of these beers at times. Nothing better on a hot summer day than to have an ice cold American light lager.

Having said that, I don't think making this style or trying to clone a BMC is practical or even possible for the average homebrewer. As stated by others, this is probably the most difficult beer in the world to brew. Any flaws would stick out like a sore thumb. I find it amazing that mega breweries can produce consistent, flawless light beers in massive quantities. I say just buy some Coors light for this one!

Oh, by the way, I don't care what anyone thinks of me because I drink a BMC now and then...:mug:

Yeah, I will check when I get home to be sure but it went something like this for the 10 gal batch:

7lbs 2-row
7lbs 6-row
3lbs flaked corn
3lbs flaked rice

ounce of willamette (Glacier would work well too) at 60 and another ounce at 30

Pitch at 45 and ferment at 48-50, filter and carbonate very highly.

Keep it simple and keep it clean, have a nice big pitch of yeast and serve it as cold as you can. This is for a Standard American Lager, if you want to get closer to a lite I would just reduce the 2-row by five pounds or so. This will increase the adjuct percentage and lower the gravity. I would also delete the 30 min hop addition for a lite lager.

Edit: If you want it closer to a specific company here is the approach I would take:

Bud: take out the 2-row and use all 6-row, use rice syrup solids for all of the adjunct.

Coors: take out the 6-row and use all 2-row, use refined corn starch in place of the corn at about 10oz per lb of corn but leave the rice as is.

Miller: Use brewers corn syrup for all of the adjunct, I know AHS carries this.

Thats pretty close to what I usually make, but if you're going for Bud/Miller/Coors you've got way to much gravity to begin with.

I do like 3.5# 2 row, 2.5# 6 row, 2# flaked rice.

You need to be right around 5-1/2% ABV at the most when you make this kind of beer.

Thats pretty close to what I usually make, but if you're going for Bud/Miller/Coors you've got way to much gravity to begin with.

I do like 3.5# 2 row, 2.5# 6 row, 2# flaked rice.

You need to be right around 5-1/2% ABV at the most when you make this kind of beer.
You're thinking of the diet BMC that they call "lite", what I made is more along the lines of Coors Original, Budweiser, or High Life. this beer finishes in the 1.007 range which leaves it below 5.5% anyway. But I do have pointers in there for those of you trying to make the diet counterpart to the standard BMC fare.

Edit: Perhaps you didn't see that this is for a 10 gallon batch size. The OG comes in right at 1.048 when I brew this.

No I wasn't thinking of light beer, and yes I saw it was 10 gallon recipe.

What kind of efficiency do you get ? I don't need anywhere close to that much to come in around 1.050.

Anyway, if it tastes good to you - drink it.

Brew on!

I get 75%, that is 20lbs of grain resulting in 11 gallons in the fermenters after boil. If you are getting 1.050 out of 8lbs of grain that is damn near 90% efficiency.

Yeah, I usually get a little better than 90% as I figure it. 8-8.5 pounds seems to be the sweet spot for me, I can mash 11.5-12 pounds with my setup but then I don't get as good efficiency -- no idea why really.

I didn't realize you got 75%, I thought my 90%+ was typical.

Sorry for the confusion.

I did a brew that was 3 lbs extra light dme and 1 lb honey 1 0z hallertau and i used Safale 04..
it pretty much had no flavor. was very colorless , pretty close to coors light.
the problem people face with corporate light beer, is they can drink alot of it, so there is more opportunity for judgment, now with a heavy beer, your tastebuds are all sexed out after one beer. less opportunity for criticism .

Talk about bringing back a zombie but anychance you have the diet cersion of the coors recipe and what yeast. Im doing this as a challenge to myself. Coors is a sponsor of mine in racing and i want to see if i can duplicate it. Idc whatto people think im testing my brewing abilities.

So original, its just as east to not post and not sound like a db. If you dont want to advance your abilities fine, but some of us choose to challenge ourselves with brewing the hardest style.

For those who are interested...a recipe for an all-grain version of the BMC American light lager. It's not a "clone" of any, but it's close to all.

(6.5 gallon batch, 75% efficiency)

7 lbs American 2-row base
2 lbs flaked corn
1 lb flaked rice

1 oz any 4% alpha acid hop @ 60 min

SafLager dry yeast

simple, easy, cheap. 4.3% ABV

Back