Terrapin Indian Style Brown Ale Clone Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc06

Reaction score
I am attemping a clone at this wonderful beer. Here is what I have, any thoughts on the recipe, or suggestions for a yeast let me know.

Here's from the website
The Terrapin India Style Brown Ale is a head on collision between a hoppy, west coast IPA and a complex, malty brown ale. Brewed with 5 varieties of hops and 7 different malts, this hybrid style represents the best of both worlds.

ABV: 6.0%

IBU’s: 65

O.G.: 15.1

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Dark Munich, Victory, Special Roast, Crystal 65, Crystal 85, Chocolate

Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, Willamette, Columbus (Dry Hop)

The Terrapin India Style Brown Ale is a head on collision between a hoppy, west coast IPA and a complex, malty brown ale. Brewed with 5 varieties of hops and 7 different malts, this hybrid style represents the best of both worlds.

ABV: 6.0%

IBU’s: 65

O.G.: 15.1

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Dark Munich, Victory, Special Roast, Crystal 65, Crystal 85, Chocolate

Hops: Nugget, Chinook, Centennial, Willamette, Columbus (Dry Hop)

10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 71.43 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 10.71 %
0.75 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 5.36 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 3.57 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 1.79 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 36.0 IBU
1.00 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 21.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.7 IBU
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.062 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.060 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.016 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.02 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 6.52 %
Bitterness: 63.4 IBU

Yea, I saw that. I just don't think there is 5 lbs of munich in a 5 gallon batch of terrapin. How did you like the US-05 for it?

send spike (master brewer) an email... you may be surprised with your response. ;)

Yea, I saw that. I just don't think there is 5 lbs of munich in a 5 gallon batch of terrapin. How did you like the US-05 for it?

Your right. I just really love munich! As far as the US-05 goes, it is a nice clean yeast which i think is important for any hop forward beer. You don't want anything getting in between your taste buds and those delicious alpha acids!

I would think about swapping the 60 & 20 minute additions putting the Nugget at 60 minutes & Chinook at 20 minutes. I think you'll get more flavor out of the Chinook whereas I tend to think of Nugget as a more neutral flavor hop. I suspect that also fits better with what they do. Their list order is likely the addition order.

+1 on this. I would send him an email with a grain bill you drew up using the information off of the website and ask if you are close.

Doesnt sound like he took my advise. I cant say that I dont have the exact Wake and Bake recipe :)

I will never post it or give it out to anyone for respect of the brewery. It is a local one to me and one of my favorites in the country. I support them whenever possible. I go to the brewery tours often and Spike and the other brewers are always around and dont mind BSing with you at all.

Marc06- I tried to send you a private message, but you are all full up.
Just wanted an update on this beer, and what is the mash schedule, yeast used?

I plan on making this on Sunday, looks really good.
Thanks

Well, this beer came out great. Just not a clone. I have the hop schedule off. Brew Hoperator and NNatic are right...I'm going to email my recipe to Spike and see what happens.

So i finally did a side by side and my recipe is lighter than Terrapin recipe. I'm going to bump up the chocholate next go around. The terrapin is also a bit sweeter, and I'm going to bump up the victory and crystal. As far as the hops, I was waaaay of. I dont have any way of improvement, just starting over. I emailed the brewery as advised in this thread. I have side by side comparison pictures...just lack the ability to upload them.

I haven't done much on my next version of achieving a Terrapin IBA clone, until now! I knew I was off on the grain bill, and never received an email back from Terrapin. Some one with greater google-fu skills than myself was able to find a grain bill that apparently came from Spike himself. With this new information for the grain bill I have updated it, however the hops originally used are different from what is currently used. I have gone with the hops from the Terrapin website. Any critique on my hop schedule? Further thoughts on yeast? Last time I used US05 and was thinking about doing the same, mashed 152.

Estimated OG: 1.062 SG
Estimated Color: 20.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 61.9 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 67.38 %
1.25 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.87 %
1.25 lb Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 8.87 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.32 %