Sinebrychoff Baltic Porter Clone (PM), 2009 HBT 3rd place, 12A-C

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksosh

Reaction score
Modified recipe of one that's from here: http://www.kernans.org/~pete/beer/index.php?index=36&index_by=name

Sinebrychoff Baltic Porter Clone

6 lbs Light Malt Extract (Muntons, 8 SRM) 56.9%
2 lbs 12 oz Amber Liquid Extract (Northern Brewer, 12.5 SRM) 26.1%
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 60 Malt (60 SRM) 4.7%
8 oz Chocolate Malt (450 SRM) 4.7%
6.5 oz Munich Malt 20L (20 SRM) 3.8%
6.5 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 3.8%
1.5 oz Northern Brewer (AA 8%) @ 60 mins, 31 IBU
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (AA 4%) @ 25 mins, 3.4 IBU
.5 oz Saaz (AA 4%) @ 10 mins, 1.8 IBU
1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 mins
1 package Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

OG: 1.072 (Actual)
FG 1.020 (Actual)
Color: 27.3 (Estimated)
IBU: 36.2 (Estimated)
ABV: 6.8 (Actual)
2 weeks primary @ 68 degrees (swamp cooler)
1 week secondary @ 68 degrees (secondary)

For grains: Mash in 4.5 qt @ ~170F for ~45 mins, sparge 3.5 gallons of 168F water, tea bagging/soaking for 10 mins

Add water for boil volume of ~4 gallons
When done with boil, add water to get 5 gallons (~1.75 gallons more?)

Notes: Ingredients came from a combination of Northern Brewer, Midwest, AHS, and my LHBS in Albany. It seems that one or two of the grains (Munich maybe?) were NOT actually crushed by my LHBS, which I didn't realize until after, and which left me with a 0% efficiency score for the partial mash, and probably a different flavor profile than if everything was correctly crushed. Hence, YMMV.

This won 3rd place in the HBT 2009 Competition for the 12A-C Porter Category. It scored a 33, which is lower than I had hoped, so I blame the judges and their hatred for Porters :D (category winner scored a 37)

This beer also won 1st place in the Porters and Stouts category of the 2009 Topsfield Fair Homebrew Competition, and second place in the Light/Dark Lager and Porter category at the 2009 Knickerbocker Battle of the Brews (Albany, NY).

Sinebrychoff.JPG

45 IBU, 300 EBC

Actual ingredients:
Pilsner malt (2,8-4,5 EBC)
Munich malt (16-20 EBC)
Brown malt (?)
Caramel malt (?)

Hops: Saazer and Nugget

Yeast: Guinness yeast

Ksosh said:
Modified recipe of one that's from here: http://www.kernans.org/~pete/beer/index.php?index=36&index_by=name

Sinebrychoff Baltic Porter Clone

6 lbs Light Malt Extract (Muntons, 8 SRM) 56.9%
2 lbs 12 oz Amber Liquid Extract (Northern Brewer, 12.5 SRM) 26.1%
8 oz Caramel/Crystal 60 Malt (60 SRM) 4.7%
8 oz Chocolate Malt (450 SRM) 4.7%
6.5 oz Munich Malt 20L (20 SRM) 3.8%
6.5 oz Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) 3.8%
1.5 oz Northern Brewer (AA 8%) @ 60 mins, 31 IBU
.5 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (AA 4%) @ 25 mins, 3.4 IBU
.5 oz Saaz (AA 4%) @ 10 mins, 1.8 IBU
1 Whirlfloc Tablet @ 15 mins
1 package Irish Ale (White Labs #WLP004)

OG: 1.072 (Actual)
FG 1.020 (Actual)
Color: 27.3 (Estimated)
IBU: 36.2 (Estimated)
ABV: 6.8 (Actual)
2 weeks primary @ 68 degrees (swamp cooler)
1 week secondary @ 68 degrees (secondary)

For grains: Mash in 4.5 qt @ ~170F for ~45 mins, sparge 3.5 gallons of 168F water, tea bagging/soaking for 10 mins

Add water for boil volume of ~4 gallons
When done with boil, add water to get 5 gallons (~1.75 gallons more?)

Notes: Ingredients came from a combination of Northern Brewer, Midwest, AHS, and my LHBS in Albany. It seems that one or two of the grains (Munich maybe?) were NOT actually crushed by my LHBS, which I didn't realize until after, and which left me with a 0% efficiency score for the partial mash, and probably a different flavor profile than if everything was correctly crushed. Hence, YMMV.

This won 3rd place in the HBT 2009 Competition for the 12A-C Porter Category. It scored a 33, which is lower than I had hoped, so I blame the judges and their hatred for Porters :D (category winner scored a 37)

This beer also won 1st place in the Porters and Stouts category of the 2009 Topsfield Fair Homebrew Competition, and second place in the Light/Dark Lager and Porter category at the 2009 Knickerbocker Battle of the Brews (Albany, NY).
How long did you ferment and bottle condition this brew before it was ready to drink?

This is the legendary Sinebrychoff ("Koff" as we call it in Finland) Porter. It's the best Finnish beer ever made, yet they stock it in very small quantities in Alko (the only place to buy anything stronger than 4.7% ABV in Finland) and keep it on the bottom shelf. It's not a very appreciated beer by most Finns.

7.2% ABV but you can't taste the alcohol at all. I love this beer. This recipe itself is enough to make me want to invest in an AG setup and get started.

Did anybody else here make this yet?

Back