Upping Gravity in Primary with DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeonderdonk

Reaction score
Sorry for the multiple threads on this, I originally posted this as a response to Alcohol from Fruit.

My OG on my first AG batch was a whimpy 1.0028 for a wheat beer. I was hoping for more like 1.04. It was bubbling like crazy in the primary yesterday but today is quite a bit slower.

Can I add some DME to up the gravity at this point? If so how much do I need to add?

I was thinking maybe 1.5# disolved/boiled for 15 minutes and then cooled. How might this affect my flavour?

For future reference, here is how I do my AG batches:

I have 2 quarts of boiled water in a sanitized container in the fridge. When my wort is just about ready to pitch, I put a quart of water on the stove to boil.

I take my final gravity and, if it's too low, add enough DME or corn sugar to the boiling water to hit my target OG. I let it boil a little, then combine it with the cold (sanitized) water and add it to the wort. When you figure how much extra DME or sugar you need, you have to include the extra 3 quarts of water into your calculations.

As my AG technique improves, I am adding less and less extra sugars. I don't add it at all to about half of my batches now. Tough to hit gravity for 8 gallon batches in a 5 gallon MLT.

For your current batch, it looks like 1.5 to 2 pounds of DME would work. I would use Wheat DME (wheat and barley combined). Also, the sooner you add it the better. I don't think it will have a major impact on taste, though the brew will be stronger and maltier.

:mug:

Yes, you can. If it's 1.028 and you want to make it 1.040, 1.5# is about right assuming you don't stray over maybe a quart of water added volume. I would use wheat dry extract, extra light DME, or light DME in that order or preference.

For future reference, here is how I do my AG batches:

I have 2 quarts of boiled water in a sanitized container in the fridge. When my wort is just about ready to pitch, I put a quart of water on the stove to boil.

I take my final gravity and, if it's too low, add enough DME or corn sugar to the boiling water to hit my target OG. I let it boil a little, then combine it with the cold (sanitized) water and add it to the wort. When you figure how much extra DME or sugar you need, you have to include the extra 3 quarts of water into your calculations.

As my AG technique improves, I am adding less and less extra sugars. I don't add it at all to about half of my batches now. Tough to hit gravity for 8 gallon batches in a 5 gallon MLT.

For your current batch, it looks like 1.5 to 2 pounds of DME would work. I would use Wheat DME (wheat and barley combined). Also, the sooner you add it the better. I don't think it will have a major impact on taste, though the brew will be stronger and maltier.

:mug:

This is a good idea. My first three were all low and I added some DME the next day. From now on I will have some extra cooled and boiling water and DME on brewday to adjust on the spot.

Or you can just add the DME to your wort towards the end of the boil and not have to worry about boiling water or anything. You'll need to measure your gravity pre-boil and know what your final volume will be though. Just multiply the pre-boil wort gravity (in 'gravity points') by the pre-boil volume/post-boil volume ratio to figure your post-boil gravity.

So if the preboil wort was 6.5 gallons @ 1.030 and you will boil it down to 5 gallons:
30 * 6.5/5 = 39
so your post-boil gravity should be about 1.039 (maybe 1.038 if you used a lot of whole hops).

You can then calculate how much DME to add to hit your target OG. Just remember to adjust for the expansion of hot water when measuring your pre-boil volume. 6.7 gallons measured @ sparge temp (170-ish) would measure about 6.7 * .97 = 6.5 gallons @ room temp (the actual volume). And always read the hydrometer sample when cool.

I'm thinking I will boil up 1.5# of DME in as little water as possible and pitch it in tonight after work *fingers crossed* it doesnt wreck the taste.

It will be fine. I did this 2-3 days later for one batch when I didn't have any DME on hand once and it turned out to be my most requested brew.

Or you can just add the DME to your wort towards the end of the boil and not have to worry about boiling water or anything. You'll need to measure your gravity pre-boil and know what your final volume will be though. Just multiply the pre-boil wort gravity (in 'gravity points') by the pre-boil volume/post-boil volume ratio to figure your post-boil gravity.

So if the preboil wort was 6.5 gallons @ 1.030 and you will boil it down to 5 gallons:
30 * 6.5/5 = 39
so your post-boil gravity should be about 1.039 (maybe 1.038 if you used a lot of whole hops).

You can then calculate how much DME to add to hit your target OG. Just remember to adjust for the expansion of hot water when measuring your pre-boil volume. 6.7 gallons measured @ sparge temp (170-ish) would measure about 6.7 * .97 = 6.5 gallons @ room temp (the actual volume). And always read the hydrometer sample when cool.

Can you elaborate on calculating how much DME needs to be added?

Thanks

Joe.

Back