Freakin Leakin Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
OK so I am new to kegging, this is my obligatory leaking keg thread.

How does everyone check for leaks? I have done the soapy water deal and I did not see any bubbles, but after a couple days my tank pressure has started to drop. I am think that I have very small leak that is draining my tank.

If I turn on the tank let the regulator, etc. pressurize then turn the tank off. I should not see any drop in pressure on the tank side gauge unless there is a leak, correct?

Couple of things..... is the keg in the fridge with the keg? If it was put in warm and cooled off it will drop significantly in pressure. Also you are correct that is you shut off the gas, it should not drop the regulator pressure unless there is a leak (as long as the line is not connected to a keg). As for looking for leaks, get yourself a spray bottle and fill it with soapy water. Spray EVERYWHERE there is a connection. Hope this helps at least a little

Yeah, the tank is in the fridge but has been there for a week or so.

It drops when it is connected to a keg. I think that the beer is full carbonated so it shouldn't drop then. But, if it isn't fully carbonated I am afraid to leave it on because I think it is leaking.:cross:

Yeah...I know the feeling. If soapy water doesn't do it for you, run up to lowes and get some leak detector solution.

FSR402 said:
I use a spraw bottle full of starsan.
How long has your keg been hooked up to the gas? It may not be full carbed just yet.

It has been hooked up for little over a week. I did the turn it up to 30psi and shake it thing once then set it at 10psi. I was sampling along the way, I feel like the carbonation reached its max. I am aiming for low carbonation and the beer was kegged cold should have had a good amount of CO2 in there to begin with.

I have all this at 50F (+/- 3) and my tank reads 500psi...that is low, right? I believe it was around 600 after the initial drop due to the lower temp but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I have been using the Star San bottle too and I see nothing.

You should also disconnect the lines from the kegs while testing. That way, you'll know if it's the manifold & lines or the kegs.

david_42 said:
You should also disconnect the lines from the kegs while testing. That way, you'll know if it's the manifold & lines or the kegs.

Yeah, I did that too and I saw no drop in an hour or so. I will check it again when I get home from work.

Charge up your kegs, then remove the gas. Place a balloon on each post. Check it to see if a balloon inflates and if so you know where your leak it. If neither balloon inflates then your leak is either at the base of a post (soapy water) or the opening / relief valve. In that case, ship it to me for disposal.

I have all my kegs set at 15psi and they are sitting at 39*. At those numbers it takes about a week and a half to get the beer to stop sucking in the CO2. At 50* it will take even longer.
If you can figure out a way to put some kind of a ballon over the whole top of the keg that would be the best way to check that. Other then that, the starsan and spray bottle is the best way to check.

Cheesefood said:
Charge up your kegs, then remove the gas. Place a balloon on each post. Check it to see if a balloon inflates and if so you know where your leak it. If neither balloon inflates then your leak is either at the base of a post (soapy water) or the opening / relief valve. In that case, ship it to me for disposal.

If the balloons don't inflate and you think it is one of your other joints, you can pressurize the keg up to 30 and flip it upside down and let it sit on top of some paper to see if anything leaks out. One or two drops means that air can get out...

Also if you don't have balloons lying around you can always use condoms. :confused:

Cheesefood said:

Good call, I will do this. My gut says it is the kegs that are leaking.

FSR402 said:
I have all my kegs set at 15psi and they are sitting at 39*. At those numbers it takes about a week and a half to get the beer to stop sucking in the CO2. At 50* it will take even longer.

Yeah, I crash cooled the carboy to 35F before racking that should be nearly 1.5 volumes residual. I am only looking for a total of 2 volumes. But I guess it could be very close, enough to drain the pressure out of the regulator (not much volume).

BTW, thanks everyone for your help.

Well, when I got home today I checked. Still holding at 500psi. This was the set-up with the tank, regulator, and one disconnect. OK so all that stuff is good.

So I take that set-up and attach it to the keg. No change, at all on either gauge. So that tells me that the keg has held that pressure, 10 psi, since last night. Check it again 3 hours later: on zero. Any idea? I am going to give everything another check with the soapy water then see if I can find a balloon.

Possibly a cracked O-ring on the gas post? I've had that happen. I've haven't seen it, but you could have a scratch inside the connector that is preventing a good seal. Since both the manifold and the keg hold pressure separately, those are the only things I can come up with.

david_42 said:
Possibly a cracked O-ring on the gas post? I've had that happen. I've haven't seen it, but you could have a scratch inside the connector that is preventing a good seal. Since both the manifold and the keg hold pressure separately, those are the only things I can come up with.

Yeah I I think it is something with the post o-ring, I think this also explains why I don't see any bubbles when I do a leak test. It is a new disconnect. I am going to take it a part, replace, and lube the o-rings. Hope this works, I am starting to get irritated. Thanks again.

I had a very similar problem and the fix was indeed replacing the post o-ring with a new one. The keg held pressure by itself. The whole CO2 system held pressure when not attached to this particular keg. But when this keg was connected it definitely leaked. Replaced the o-ring and so far no lost pressure after about 24 hours.

Back