Belgian Wheat Feedback Please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrmedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I want to brew a simple belgian wheat beer, light and refreshing. This is an AG for a 5 gallon batch. I never brewed a wheat before and never used seasonings before so if you can help me with the timing and amount, it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Wheat Malt 9 lb
2 row 1 lb
Munich 1 lb

Northern Brewer .5 oz 60 min
Spalt .25 oz 10 min
Spalt .25 oz 1 min

Orange peel 1 oz
Grains of Paradise .5 oz
Corainder .5 oz

All of these in fermenter

Using Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheat

heres my 2 cents,

the grain of paradise, corrander, and orange peel can be added to the boil anywhere between the last 15 to 5 minutes.

heres a recipe i brewed recently, its in my primary right now but i brewed it a few times and it comes out really well.

Credit goes to BierMuncher

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs400
Yeast Starter: Yes
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.038
Final Gravity: 1.007
IBU: 17
Boiling Time (Minutes): 70
Color: 4.4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5

Recipe: Belgian Wit
Brewer: BierMuncher
Style: Witbier
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (47.0) Awesome taste. Add a slice of orange and people will be asking how you bought a keg of Blue Moon.Distinctive, light wheat beer with a hint of spice. The head is very white and lasts a long time. This is a light, spicy session ale. Perfect for the summer.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.20 gal
Boil Size: 6.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.038 SG
Estimated Color: 4.4 SRM
Name: Belgian_Wit_Color.jpg Views: 8834 Size: 777 Bytes
Estimated IBU: 17.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body
Total Grain Weight: 9.00 lb
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 3.50 gal of water at 165.9 F 154.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 3.00 gal of water at 196.6 F 168.0 F 10 min

the grain of paradise, corrander, and orange peel can be added to the boil anywhere between the last 15 to 5 minutes.

heres a recipe i brewed recently, its in my primary right now but i brewed it a few times and it comes out really well.

+1.

Use those spices at the end of the boil. Orange peel & Corriander at 15 mins or less left... grains of paradise at 5 mins left..

I've seen many wheat beer recipes with only 40%-60% wheat malt. So the wcarter recipe looks better for malt bill.

And don't forget to add some rice hulls (mabye 1/2#+) in the mash to prevent a stuck sparge.

Good luck!
--lexuschris

+1.

And don't forget to add some rice hulls (mabye 1/2#+) in the mash to prevent a stuck sparge.

Good luck!
--lexuschris

Yeah you definatly will want some rice hulls in there or your gonna get a major stuck sparge with all that wheat in their.

Unless your like me and do StoveTop Brew In A Bag, then you can actually mill the grains a bit finer and the bag will act as a filter, plus theirs less absorbtion of sparge water

Back