Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Had my first last night and all I can say is Wow. I know this is the first beer listed in the BJCP Guidelines for the style, and now I can see why. Before that pint, I didn't think I liked oatmeal stouts (the few I'd had were too sweet and milkshaky), but I'm a convert now.

Are there any other favorites out there? Also, does anyone know how close this clone recipe is to the original? I'm ready to go on this.

Man, is it great to be so pleasantly surprised! Must have more, and soon! :D

st. ambroise oatmeal stout is really good too... i think that recipe looks like it'll get you close.

I'm also a big fan of Goose Island's Oatmeal Stout, although I buy it under the Trader Joe's name of Stockyard Oatmeal Stout. Best beer you can buy for a buck a bottle (sorry for the excessive alliteration).

i love st ambroise oatmeal stout... the bloody lcbo only sells samuel smiths oatmeal in a bloated mix pack with a glass i dont care to spend 18 dollars on, though i do enjoy all their beers

I'm also a big fan of Goose Island's Oatmeal Stout, although I buy it under the Trader Joe's name of Stockyard Oatmeal Stout. Best beer you can buy for a buck a bottle (sorry for the excessive alliteration).

So you're begging us to bear with your benign bloviation?

Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout was my first favorite beer in college.

I haven't had it in years, but it still holds a special place.

ive seen a lot of clone recipes but not to many reviews on any of them saying how close they are

I love SSOS and I currently have this "version" of it in the fermenter:

From Clonebrews:

toast 0.5lb oats in the oven on a cookie sheet for 75min (turning every 15min) at 325˚.

Steep them with:
0.5lb Crystal 55
0.5lb Chocolate Malt
0.25lb Roasted Barley

5.75lb M&F light DME

2oz EKG 4.25% @60min

Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

Got it from a post by Kai I believe...

I've had the St. Ambrose and the Stockyard, but none are as smooth as the Samuel Smith. I've tried the Stockyard side by side with the SS, and it was not even close. The St. Ambrose would be second to me.

The Stockyard though is a steal at $6/6-pack. Almost worth it just to get the empty bottle. :D

Left Hand Brewing's Milk Stout is pretty good, I like Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout better, but it's worth checking out.

Back