What's up with 2x4's not measuring out to 2 inches by 4 inches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know. I am not all that accomplished a woodworker, but I'm pretty handy. I priced bookshelves, and decided I could buy the tools, and waste a lot of wood, and still come out on top. So I spent $1K on a nice table saw, and other tools, and now have a 16th or 17th hobby.

It is fun, the table saw is an incredible tool - dead on to a 32nd. I read a test of table saws, and the gent stated his test for a table saw was he should be able to balance a nickle on edge on the table, start it up, cut a 2x4, and shut it down without the nickle falling over. I thought it was BS, but my saw will do it. Powermatic 64A.

You can't go wrong buying tools, especially quality tools. I'm a half-azzed carpenter myself. I would have a table saw if I had the room for it. They really are fun to use. I make do with my chop miter saw and a worm drive Skilsaw. There are two kinds of carpenters. One kind builds shacks and the other kind build pianos. I'm the shack kind. The big problem these days is buying good wood. Morning wood is easy to come by, but most other hardwood is way too expensive.:p

Laughing Gnome hit the head right on. 2 X 4 is the original wood dimension, as can be seem in many pre-1900's homes.
But, what is not widely know is that a "stud" was originally named a 'prick post' but due to mixed company.......
Cheers
-David

I have to re-make my collar for several reasons, but the biggest reason is the improper sizing of the wood I bought. My "2x4" is actually less than 3.5 inches wide (or tall, depending on if it's standing up or on the ground). This causes problems for me because my hinges hang down below the wood, past the point where I could attach the lower set of screws. I would need the wood to be exactly 4 inches wide for the hinges to fit into place.

Should I just get a bigger piece of wood to guarantee that I have enough room to install the hinges?

During our first home remodel project, my wife took a measurement of a board we needed. When we got to the store, she said we need 10 - 1 1/2 x 3 1/2. :cross:

Latest posts

Back