My first year hops.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridemywideglide

Reaction score
Started with a pole and rope in the middle of the flower bed, but that was too hidious so SWMBO was easily talked into 2 arbors for both beds. Still in the works now, I was trying to get the ends done for 2 plants that DID grow, and I've included a pic of what happens when you rush.. :D

Getting some buds now tho and they are doubling in size everyday.. :rockin:

Got 1 Cascade, and I think a Fuggle. In my infinite wisdom I forgot to lable the plants, but SWMBO thinks we set them alphabetically from one side of the yard to the other. Cascade #2 was a dead toothpick in the bag, never took off, and Willamette and Halertau (I hope) are growing, but very weak and frail so far. Hoping next year they will get going.
After the hospital bill, I'm looking at like 40 years of harvesting for any return on investment.. :)

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/Ridemywideglide/20080731_041.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/Ridemywideglide/HPIM0967.jpg
http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj148/Ridemywideglide/HPIM0966.jpg

xray0003sm.jpg

Yes.. Trying to reach off a ladder around behind the top, etc, etc.. Should have just moved the ladder. :D
Only a 1.25" 18ga nail, but hit in a bad spot.
Luckily there doesn't seem to be any permanent joint damage. And the arbors are going to be beautiful when finished. :ban:

Yes.. Trying to reach off a ladder around behind the top, etc, etc.. Should have just moved the ladder. :D
Only a 1.25" 18ga nail, but hit in a bad spot.
Luckily there doesn't seem to be any permanent joint damage. And the arbors are going to be beautiful when finished. :ban:

Oh, man, glad to hear everything is going to work after some recoup time. That x-ray is no joke, you very well could have loss feeling/movement in your thumb!

In a similarly dumb move I was trimming a neighbor's tree touching my roof the other day and almost cut my ear/head off while trying to use one of those electric hedge trimmers. I was holding it in one arm while holding the ladder with the other, and felt the ladder move a bit, and almost brought the hedge trimmer across my neck when I went to grab the ladder with the hand holding the trimmer. Same thing, was too lazy to move the ladder over an extra foot, and it almost cost me dearly.

Hops look great btw!

I got a framer last spring for my basement finishing project. I can completely see how quick something could happen! I am glad your ok, I bet it was sore for awhile!

Oh, man, glad to hear everything is going to work after some recoup time. That x-ray is no joke, you very well could have loss feeling/movement in your thumb!

In a similarly dumb move I was trimming a neighbor's tree touching my roof the other day and almost cut my ear/head off while trying to use one of those electric hedge trimmers. I was holding it in one arm while holding the ladder with the other, and felt the ladder move a bit, and almost brought the hedge trimmer across my neck when I went to grab the ladder with the hand holding the trimmer. Same thing, was too lazy to move the ladder over an extra foot, and it almost cost me dearly.

Hops look great btw!

Thanks, I think the first round is about ready for picking, at least the Fuggles.
As for the thumb, it did pin the joint, catching both bones and pinning it in a "thumbs up" position. Aside from the seriousness of it all, it wasn't too bad. BUT I don't want it to happen again. :cross:

I got a framer last spring for my basement finishing project. I can completely see how quick something could happen! I am glad your ok, I bet it was sore for awhile!

Framer could do some serious damage. 8 or 10ga nail at 120psi?? Don't even want to think about that.

Glad to hear the injury wasn't extremely serious. When I worked at a truss plant, on more than one occasion we had someone nail their hand to a 2x4 with a framing nailer.

Here's some pics I took toinght after getting one of the arbors wrapped up. This should be Fuggles according to SWMBO.

Problem is I'm unsure what's eating my boys.. Not after the buds yet, mainly on the Cascade which is just starting, but have skeletalized several leaves. I see nothing as far as bugs on any of the plants.

HPIM0968.JPG

HPIM0969.JPG

HPIM0970.JPG

HPIM0971.JPG

HPIM0972.JPG

I have that same issue - something is eating my leaves. Looks as if someone took a scalpal and cleanly cut out a section of leaf - so weird.

At first I thought it might have been cutter ants, but I see the loss happening 12' up.

Those cones look awesome - I am so jealous.

Back