Stone Vertical Epic 07

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston Brew Guy

Reaction score
The liquor Store near me has a few of the 07 vertical epics. Are these a good beer? They are fairly expensive, so I would rather not buy one if they are considered to be a gimmick or overrated.

They're quite popular. It depends on what types of beers you like. This one was intended as a blend of a saison and a tripel, with ginger, spice, and citrus peel. Sounds interesting and will improve with age (it's meant to be aged).

I found the write-up using Google, including their home-brew recipe for a clone of it. If you try it and like it, you can make your own. Stone appreciates home brewers and it's cool that they provide recipes for their specialty beers.

http://www.stonebrew.com/epic/homebrew_recipe.php?ReleaseYear=2007

Sounds interesting. How long should it be aged? I assume that they were all brewed and then released on 07-07-07, is this true? Is one year decent aging, or are you talking something like 3-4? Thanks for the info.

It was ready to drink on 07-07-07 but should continue to change for years. The intent of the vertical epic series was to sample all of them on 12-12-12 with several samplings in between.
I have an 07-07-07 I picked up last summer. I intend to try it just as soon as my cold clears up so I can actually taste it.

Craig

I didn't like the 07. I thought it was easily the weakest of the series so far. The 03 and 04 were amazing and I will be saving the last ones I have until the 12-12 date. :)

I suppose it might have ggotten better by now, but fresh I just didn't care for it.

I didn't like the 07. I thought it was easily the weakest of the series so far. The 03 and 04 were amazing and I will be saving the last ones I have until the 12-12 date. :)

I suppose it might have ggotten better by now, but fresh I just didn't care for it.
I got 3 in 7/07 and was not real happy with the first one. The flavors were all disjointed and the spice was bordering on obnoxious. I just drank my last one last month and it is a different beer. Fantastic! I wish I had the means to pick up cases and store them when I know it will be a good aging brew. If I see them for sale for under $10 I'll probably get a few more.

I'd look around at smaller shops. Sometimes Stone releases hide at the less known vendors for a whole year or more.

I miiiight have a second bottle that I guess I could try, but I can't break the set. :)

I just fell into 2 03s at a small shop yesterday. the guy i talked to who i assume was the beer manager had to have know the premium this thing could have commanded, but i got them for 15 a piece.

I just fell into 2 03s at a small shop yesterday. the guy i talked to who i assume was the beer manager had to have know the premium this thing could have commanded, but i got them for 15 a piece.

Hey man. I work in hopkinton and Ive been trying to get my hands on some verticals. This sounds like a good store that I havent hit up. Im sick of the ones I go to I want to see new things. Do they still have any verticals at this place or did you buy them all?? :p

I absolutely loved the Vertical Epic 08, but I don't now how much different it is from the 07. I'm still hoping to dig up another 08, drank mine in 09 and I'm sure it will be amazing in 2010. But man, you guys just lit a fire. I need to try to track down some older epics too.

I just picked up some of the 09 & 10. Wasn't that much of a fan of the 09, but enjoyed the 10. I would love to get the whole set from 02, but the older ones are crazy expensive. Talked to a guy at Stone during an event at a bar I used to work at. They mentioned about releasing very few sets of 2002-2012 when they release their last batch, but god only knows if it will happen. Probably depends on how much they actually have.

To find even one 07 is a feat. Check Ebay. A single bottle can go for 3 times it's original price. Flights go for huge dollars.

Man, my local wholefoods had 3 07's last week, nice and dusty. I was in a hurry and didn't pick one up, they were about $10 each. I went back this week and they were all gone. Oh well.

Found an 07 at my local craft beer shop. Good deal at $12. Will report on taste later.

I should go check the overpriced bottle shop in ruralville, tn. Scored some 05 still nacht and 07 westmalle there. They have a ton of Stone beers there. Anyone want to trade if I land some?

Back