Vanilla: extract or bean?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomman

Reaction score
Can you use vanilla extract in brewing? I'm using vanilla bean now, but would love to save some money next time, has anyone used extract?

Yeah, you can use extract, but there's not much cost savings. Natural Vanilla Extract (not artificial) is not cheap. I would go to a place like Beanilla. Beanzilla? Something like that.

If we keep posting about VANILLA, the google advertisement for Beanzilla or Beanilla will pop up and you can just click on it. I bought 10 mexican vanilla beans from them and they were really nice. The cost wasn't too bad either...

Really, it's all about knowing where to get the stuff without getting gouged.

I took those 10 beans that I bought and put them into a 750mL bottle of vodka. It's about half-strength extract. Did you know that that is how extract is made? It's just vanilla beans soaked in vodka. The flavors tend to improve and meld with age up until about the 1 year mark. At that point, the flavor stabilizes and the product holds its qualities for years without notable diminishment of potency.

So I say buy 20 beans, soak them in cheap vodka. It'll be usable after a month or two. It'll get better for a year. Compare that to the cost of a real vanilla extract. You are waayyy ahead on money if you do it yourself.

Sir Humpsalot said:
Yeah, you can use extract, but there's not much cost savings. Natural Vanilla Extract (not artificial) is not cheap. I would go to a place like Beanilla. Beanzilla? Something like that.
Here is your link www.beanilla.com
I have ordered from these guys and am 100% satisfied. I needed 10 beans for the Leap Year Mead. At the local stores that would have cost me $120 or more. They run about $12 each. The problem I had about that is that they looked like they had been there since the Carter administration. That's not good!
for $16 I got 13 beans and shipping. Can't beat that.:mug:

I bought a big bottle of vanilla extract in Mexico, probably around a pint, it is good stuff, made from real beans, and tastes great in my imperial stout, although I like a mellow vanilla so I only added a few tbsp to 5 gallons.

I was looking for a vanilla bean and saw natural vanilla extract that was 50% off. So, I'm using that in my stout i'm brewing this weekend. I should have stocked up.

I bought like 90 beans form http://bostonvanillabeans.com/ last year and I am very happy with the quality and the price. I will be using a bean in a porter I am brewing tomorrow, this will be the first time using one in beer.

But buy in bulk, you will save a lot of money and get better beans, I split that order with 3 other people and it was very reasonable for all of us.

When adding a bean to your beer I assume you add it to the secondary? Also, do you add it whole? or do you split and scrape like I have heard others talk about?

I agree -- bulk is best. I bought 1/2lb of beans (~32 count?) from The Organic Vanilla Bean Company for $14 a while back. That's a huge amount of vanilla for less money than two tiny bottles of extract.

Also... Fresh beans are great, but you'll get more mileage from them if you make your own extract with them. You basically strip the seeds from the beans, cut the beans up, and stick them in a bottle of vodka. Shake every day for a few weeks, and you have an ungodly amount of vanilla extract.

I'm planning on using my extract for some of Cheese's CCA in a couple weeks!

I believe most people add it to secondary. Splitting and scraping it gives more flavour, but it's not essential, I don't think.

Any worry about contamination when adding it directly to secondary, or is it supposed to be boiled, or soaked in vodka to kill any contaminates on it??? (Newbie!)

I'm thinking about adding a hint of vanilla to my Nut Brown Ale I'm doing.

Back